Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Album Review: "Three Poisons" by Elephant Stone

Three Poisons
Today's story begins in the historic city of Montreal, Quebec.

I have never been there, but I surely desire to go there one day, if not perhaps even live there for a time.

It has the reputation of being the most European styled city in North America, and perhaps my European heritage always has me looking eastward across the pond...to one day walk the streets of my forefathers....

I've lost the plot. This group was founded years ago by sitarist/bassist, Rishi Dihr. How many bands can you name that not only have a sitarist, but were founded by one.

Now think of all of the bands from the Sixties and Seventies that had Eastern vibes. Led Zeppelin? Pink Floyd? Even the mighty Spinal Tap had a sitar on a song.

Elephant Stone
Aside from the aforementioned sitar, there are other instruments that are very conspicuous in the mix.

The guitars are gritty and polished and add sonic coloring and even some very emotive solos.

The synths give the sound a retro-futuristic sound. (I suppose that means contemporary?)

Synth rock and pop has been on the rise as it once was in the Sixties and Seventies and Elephant Stone are on the bus and possibly trying to get a front seat.

The sitar creates a spiritual feeling in the music. Very rarely does it take center stage, but it holds court in the back, allowing the guitars and synths to think they are running the show.

Vocally speaking, it runs the gauntlet from Black Hollies style modern sounds to vocals far more reminiscent of Pink Floyd.  The groove, the Eastern Flare, the vocals, this band feels like the self described Eastern thinkers of the old days, but has a much greater authenticity than than those other bands.

Like Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin, this band has an epic album in it. Three Poisons is great, but they've got better in them. I can feel it in my bones.

Release: 8/26/14
Genre: You Tell Me
Label: Hidden Pony Records
Facebook Link



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this one, Nik, I'll definitely be checking them out. As an aside, I've been to Quebec City, though it was many years ago. I doubt it's changed much and it's definitely a "must see" kind of place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the American Literature Association Conference in Boston in May, 2013, I presented a paper on what I called ‘recurring motif-images’in the fiction of Don DeLillo. (A transcript is posted on this blog in the September, 2013 section.)
    http://postmoderndeconstructionmadhouse.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-recurring-of-thing-itself-in-robert.html#.U2T6aIFdXxA

    ReplyDelete