Monday, January 19, 2015

Album Review: "Hidden Evolution" by Angelus Apatrida

Hidden Evolution
Today I have the opportunity to review another band from a non-English speaking country that chooses to sing in perfect English.

I'm no closer to solving this conundrum. I hope that one day I can leave behind a world in which either people feel free to sing in their native tongues, or that will die knowing that I have solved the issue that gets to me.

I also wonder why death metal bands sing in English....or if they're singing in English really. Perhaps the titles are just in English......anyway.

Angelus Apatrida is a group of Spanish thrash metallers.

Formed in 2000, Hidden Evolution is their fifth full length album and their third for Century Media. Their last release was 2012's The Call. This is the first time I've heard anything by this band, so it's all new territory for me.

Angelus Apatrida
Being thrash, this album starts off pretty much the way anyone would think it should.

Fast, heavy, and played with reckless abandon that only a thrash metal band can create.

The guitars sound like chainsaws. The drum pound along. The bass draws the music together. The vocals are a bit reminiscent of Joey Belladonna from the Anthrax heyday, but better.

This album really begins to shine during the guitar solos.

Wah drenched, warp speed harmonies, that just never stop and never slow down. They're a shred fan's most cherished dream and they come around every song.

This album starts heavy and stays heavy apart from some slowed down bridges and arpeggios. Angelus Apatrida don't reinvent the wheel but show us why that wheel still kicks ass even after 30 years of driving.

Release: 1/27/15
Genre: Thrash Metal
Label: Century Media
Facebook Link


No comments:

Post a Comment