Friday, October 9, 2015

Album Review: Self Titled by Quiet Hollers

Quiet Hollers
I remember seeing an online post by some anonymous people on the net giving their top ten lists for the end of the year, probably around 2010-ish.

It was very hard for me to believe that these people had acquired enough albums to people an entire list for a top ten, much less the ones that didn't make it.

Good lord, how little I knew then.

If I had to guess, I'd wager there are more albums being produced today than in music's "heyday." Even being the small fry that I am, I am constantly deluged by managers, labels, PR,c ompanies, bands, and friends of bands to check out their music. (This is not a complaint. Don't stop!) What's hard is how in the world do I start?

I try to bring you the best music that comes across my desk, and sometimes I succeed and sometimes I fail. So today, I bring you a press photo with a band bend on worldwide destruction in the Pacific Rim.

I didn't even know Godzilla played.
Godzilla is a symbol of the fragility of Japan, the anti-nuclear weapon protest, and just really bad ass and metal.

So, prepare for face melting riffs and growls the size Mothra.

Wait? What? Scratch pretty much all of that.

The Quiet Hollers are an Americana Rock band, and not remotely metal.

Their music isn't based around crunchy riffs or kick drums that'll take your skull cap off, but basic songwriting.

There are oceans of soft, arpeggiated chords. The vocals are mournful but hopeful.  The drummer is not trying to take Neal Peart down a peg, but playing some snappy, crisp drumlines.

There's very judicious use of the guitar solo. Listening to the few guitar solos will take you into another world. They're bluesy, with a touch of country. There's a David Gilmour feeling there, but none of the solos feel like Glimour. The feeling is so strong, at the end of one, I forgot I was I reviewing Quiet Hollers and not listening to The Final Cut.

Quiet Hollers take all the influences of Louisville and make an album that's greater than the sum of its parts, save those guitar solos.

Release: 10/23/15
Genre: Roots Rock
Facebook Link
Purchase Link

No comments:

Post a Comment