Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Album Review: "Final Days" by War Curse

Final Days
Who remembers those heady days when Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Exodus, and Testament were giving birth to the music that would later be called thrash metal?

I don't, because I was a touch too young, but I can tell you who's been affected by it?

War Curse.

Fun fact: Final Days is the strangely titled debut album from War Curse.

I dunno man, I don't think that's what I call my first record, but War Curse is like that I guess.

They've only been in existence for just about two years and they're already on their third bass player. I find that interesting. It's like the Spinal Tap rotation, but with bass players. Well, good luck Eric Payne. I hope you don't spontaneously combust.

War Curse
It's hard to think of War Curse as old school thrash, though that's how they're billed.

When I think of the old school, I look back to the originators, and they didn't have any of what War Curse has.

Listen to Kill 'Em All and Hetfield's rhythm work didn't even give a hint of what was to come, but War Curse....wow. Their riffing is crazy. There's so much power and speed....

I picture their fingers blurring in front of me as they jam.

Strangely enough, the solos are not of the liquid fingers variety, but have a more melodic bent. The juxtaposition created offers a nice deviation from convention.

Another differentiation from the originators happens all over the vocals. Joey Belladonna (and early Tom Araya...and VERY early James Hetfield) squeals are nowhere to be found, thank Satan.

This is from the street and there's no sheen stolen from Bruce Dickinson or Rob Halford. The anger is real. The vocals rip.

Is there trash metal without a drummer who's borne of a human and an octopus? Well, War Curse is no different.

Crushing drums, riffs fast enough to rip time and space, and dirty vocals to match. There's very little left wanting.

We shall watch your career with great interest.

Release: 12/04/15
Genre: Thrash Metal
Label: DIY
Facebook Link
Bandcamp Link

No comments:

Post a Comment