Friday, April 22, 2016

Album Review: "Cowards Empire" by Node

Cowards Empire
Falling asleep is about the hardest thing in the world for me to do unless I've been awake for longer than 22 hours.

This is a problem that's plagued me since I was a very small child. For years people told me that to get more sleep, just to bed earlier, but they had no idea.

When my eyes are closed, the lights in my head are on and they are on full blast. Nothing stops until such point that my brain finally shuts down due to sheer exhaustion.

A book on Samurai sword philosophy is actually helping me learn how to switch off. "Too many mind" as was famously said to Tom Cruise in The Last Samurai.

Many people would find this to be a serious problem, but to me, it's just a part of the make up of who I am. There's certainly no curse in my brain being able to function quickly.

Node
Enter Node, from Milan, Italy.

If we were getting technical, they're a technical death metal band that has evolved over the 21 years of existence.

Today, their sound never stops and is constantly buzzing.

Think like bebop jazz, but way more intense and with much better guitar solos.

And these are some excellent guitar solos. Ranging from super full shred to beautiful melody, and watch out for the woodwinds.

The rhythms leave nothing to be desired as well. There's a strong working relationship between both sides in order to create a thick, two guitar sound that never lets up.

It's death metal, so it's easy to guess what the drums are going to sound like, but they sound full and ringing. Their level in the mix is perfection.

The demons had plenty to growl about on this record. Full, thick, and evil.

Node's Cowards Empire sounds as if it's the template for modern, technical death metal. The tempos are as static as my mind at bedtime. The wall of sound is plastered with gore.

Release: 4/26/16
Genre: Technical Death Metal
Label: Punishment 18
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment