Thursday, November 10, 2016

Album Review: Kill The Ill by Brine

Kill The Ill
Something major happened here recently, something that chills me to my core, something that leaves me huddling under the blankets not wanting to get up in the morning. I'm talking, of course, about the first frost of the season

I know what you thought I meant, but this is a place of creativity and entertainment. Somewhere you can come to get away from all that other ugliness.

Grab some headphones and cue up the next track, sit back and sip on your favorite beverage of choice.

I'd recommend a hot drink now that Fall is truly here though it's been leaf-falling weather for a few weeks already, especially here in this *specific* spot. The new music I've been listening to lately all has a common feel to it, a decidedly autumnal bent.

Brine
Kill The Ill, the debut album from Brine, is no exception. When you listen to it you'll understand better what I'm talking about: that comfortable sweater, lazy afternoon, enjoy it for the sake of pleasure type of music.

Brine was formed only a couple of years ago but the Seattle, WA foursome has been creating together for nearly two decades and when their new disc, on Inverted Kite Records, hits shelves in December fans of post-punk 1980's alternative will be treated to sounds both unique and familiar.

I always hope that bands I review feel complimented when I compare their sound to those established groups from my past. When I hear something new I can't help but stack it up next to what I already know, and Brine hits you right in the feels with very Smiths and Cure sounding, guitar driven tunes.

I even felt a little Psychedelic Furs floating out from Kill The Ill but then you hear unexpected riffs from piano and saxophone and think, wow, never heard it done like THAT before.

The way the album flows into a bit of angst in closing with Mutiny reminds me of my very musically formative high school years, a reminiscing, longing for a time when I didn't have to care quite so much about what was going on in the world around me. You can check out the title track from Kill the Ill here.

Release: Friday, December 2, 2016
Genre: post-punk, alt-rock
Label: Inverted Kite Records
Inverted Kite on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment