Monday, April 17, 2017

LP Review: "Dark Harvest" by Hammerdrone

Dark Harvest
How many Quentin Tarantino movies have you seen?

As a 41 year old adult, it's easy to say you that this man is a great director who's released some truly glorious films.

The Kill Bill flicks are probably my favorite. Yes, as they're the only ones in my personal home library, I would have to say that.

Thinking back to the middle 90's, I saw Resevoir Dogs with my best friend. Good lord, there was nothing about that movie that moved me in any single way.

Something that did stick with me though, the scene describing tipping. As a 19 year old who was barely making above minimum wage at only 15-20 hours per week and (stupidly) paying for Junior College out of pocket, any excuse to tip less was valid to me. For the record, I over tip today. When I get bad service, I still do 15% because these folks are paying their bills on those tips and 9 times out of 10, it's not your server's fault.

Hammerdrone
Now, think back to the scene where the heisters all met up. No one got to choose their colors, because they all wanted to be Mr. Black.

That's kind of the state of extreme metal in 2017. It's been oft referred to here as the heavy metal arms race.

What do the bands who seek the holy grail of heavy often lack?

Quality songs.

Think of the last time you heard a song and thought, man this is heavy. Did you tap your foot along to the beat? Was there a discernible song involved? Most likely the answers to those questions are no.

Super heavy and super speed are often used in place of quality. Sorry, boys, I'm calling it like it is. If you're songs are at 700BPM it's a lot harder to notice the riffs, the vocals, or the drums, beyond the triggers anyway.

Hammerdrone is heavy, don't misunderstand, but if Meshuggah is a Hydrogen Bomb, Hammerdrone is an Atomic Bomb. It's heavy enough to get the job done, but there is greater heavier elsewhere, but the songcraft here is top notch.

There's feeling, groove, and swagger in these riffs. Add a touch of progressiveness and you've got a really good idea what Hammerdrone is all about.

 Dark Harvest is a triumph of Old School Death Metal and what all the other bands should be striving to match.

Release: Out Now
Genre: Old School Death Metal
Label: DIY
Formats: CD/Digital
Facebook
Bandcamp

No comments:

Post a Comment