Wednesday, April 25, 2018

LP Review: "Voidwalker" by Jollymon

Voidwalker
It's been discussed at length, but we're never too proud to breaking the same old ground....if enough time's passed.

It was around 2014 that stoner metal arrived into my personal sphere.

Now would be a pretty darned good time to begin judging the holy living hell out of me really. It seemed so new to me. What I didn't know, is that the genre was already decades old.

Yet, it had never hit me, because my mind was elsewhere and I was closed off to new music.

It's hard to fathom now that an entire new genre of music and it caught me completely unawares. It would appear as though I've done my best to catch up on the Stoner and Doom metal though. It's been around here a bit hasn't it?

Jollymon
The debate that continues to rage on, is what's in a genre?

For me, the classification is useful because it's supposed to offer you an idea on the style of music.

What's in a name?

If that name is stoner metal, damned near anything really. Stoner and Doom Metal seem to be the only anything goes metal sub-genres.

Jollymon has taken the anything goes idea and turned it into their de rigeur.

Voidwalker seems to include nearly ever single thing that acceptable in the, shall we say, more psychedelic styles of metal.

It seems that way, because it is missing some of the most extreme elements, but that's really neither here nor there. But, as it's not there, I saw fit to mention it.

In lieu of extreme metal, there are Pink Floydian elements along with some, interesting vocal stylings. Take out the metal, add in those woo woo vocals, and you've got the makings of an American Idol super star.

But no American Idol winner or (presumably) loser can rip on the guitar like this. That's how this becomes metal even without metal vocals.

The album isn't double and triple tracked so it sounds like a band actually playing a song. It's organic, real, and has fist fulls of groove

Release: 6/8/18
Genre: Stoner Metal
Facebook

6 comments:

  1. Booyah! So awesome seeing this! Jollymon has been one of my favorite bands for 25 years now and have been a huge part of my life. I’m so thankful and beyond stoked that they’re back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hells yeah love me some jollymon been a fan for about 20 years now glad to see them back on the scene

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is everything that I've been trying to say about what makes Jollymon awesome! Seriously, the groovy, organic sound, metal meets Pink Floyd, it's the perfect description. I can't wait to hear what they put out next. Great write up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely tasty!!! These three never cease to amaze me. Well done guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So stoked to see the guys back after the depressingly long hiatus. I've been rocking the Jollymon since the 90s!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for checking out the review and reading our pages.

    :)

    ReplyDelete