Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Album Review: "The Whole Night Thru" by Sam Llanas

The Whole Night Thru
This is one of those situations where I received an album by someone whom I'm frankly not familiar with at all.

Sam Llanas isn't new in any stretch of the imagination.

He was a founding member of the roots rock band The BoDeans, whom I've heard of, but for the life of me I can't name any songs by them.

He was also a member of the band Absinthe, also whom I can tell you nothing about.

I've had the beverage and I found it disappointing, but that's about as far as I can get here. I can tell you he's been at the music game for a very long time and he's known for his acoustic guitar work, but for the rest, I'm flying blind here.

Sam Llanas
This album is lush and vibrant.

It starts off with Deja Vu (see below) which features some very wonderful electric guitar work that features a soft, but overdriven timbre that creates a great retro vibe.

Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on your personal pedigree, the guitar switches back and fourth to an acoustic on the softer ballads giving a wonderful amount of varied tones.

It's always  nice when a band has more than one sound on their records.

The drums are off kilter...I can't think of another way to describe what I heard here, but even mellow and calm they gallop behind the guitars and the vocals.

The vocals  have an interesting twangy/nasal timbre that ease their way in and out of the guitars.

What I loved about t his album was how it freed my mind to think while I was listening to it. That makes this record great for travelling. If you're going on a road trip, crank this up as you're leaving the drive way.

Release: 11/18/14
Label: DIY
Genre: Rock
Facebook Link

Preorder Link





No comments:

Post a Comment