Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Hometown Tales with Marc Durkee

Marc Durkee
It's time for yet another edition of  Hometown Tales. 

We're checking in with another Canadian metaller, name of Marc Durkee.

Durkee's latest release, Remain In Stasis, will be released on January 18, 2019. You can check out all that goodness on his BANDCAMP page.

Stasis is an uptempo rockin' album that's a bit reminiscent of Yellow & Green era Baroness, but with more crunch and more melody.

It's something you'll definitely want to catch.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to get a bit more intimate with the Yarmouth, Nova Scotia native on the FACEBOOK.

But, what is Yarmouth, NS? To find out more about this Maritime town in Nova Scotia, we'll turn the mic over to the man himself.

1. St. Louis City is my hometown. I've lived here for most of my life in and around the city. Where are you from? 

I'm from a small town in Nova Scotia called Yarmouth, 3 hours south of Halifax. 

2.We have three things that don't really exist anywhere else: the slinger, the gooey butter cake, and toasted ravioli. Tell me about your hometown delicacy.

There’s a lot of seafood here in Nova Scotia. Fishing is the biggest industry in the province, primarily lobster fishing down in the southern end. 

We also have a dish very specific to this region called Rappie pie, or râpure. It's almost like a casserole-type of thing made with grated potatoes, beef or chicken broth, meat and onions, and sometimes there's seafood crammed in there as well. 

It's pretty good!

3. In St. Louis, though there have been others. Our biggest hometown team is the St. Louis Cardinals (formerly the St. Louis Perfectos, nee: the St. Louis Browns, not the AL team that moved to Baltimore.) There is nowhere you can go to escape it. I'm a hockey fan, not a baseball fan, so it's a bit weird to me. Tell me about your hometown's big team.

I've never been a sports fan myself, but there's a big hockey scene around here. Our local team is the Mariners. 

I once had the unfortunate experience of having to walk through their locker room after a recent game, and it was the worst stench I've ever smelled! 

4. St. Louis isn't really known for any one type of music scene. The biggest acts I can think of to get out of here alive were Gravity Kills, Nelly and the St. Lunatics, and Sheryl Crow. There's always been a vibrant concert scene though. What about where you are?

The biggest musical success out of Yarmouth would be an indie rock band called Wintersleep, a few of the members hail from here. 

They've had a few songs go big on an international level and they even appeared on David Letterman once. As far as Halifax goes, there's been more than a few successful bands and artists - Sarah McLachlan, Ria Mae, Joel Plaskett, Sloan - to name a few. 

Can't forget the Trailer Park Boys too! Not a band I know, but whatever.

5. 20 years ago, St. Louis had about 300 murders each year, floods, and all sorts of other fun things. You might have heard about us being named the Murder Capital of the USA. Nowadays, a lot here is 150. But there are lots of parts of the city that are returning to former glory. On the whole, St. Louis is a better place to live today than before. Is there anything like that where you're from?

Yarmouth is a small town, so luckily there isn't much crime or many tragic events. Sure there are some sketchy people around town, but that's the case everywhere you go. 

6. Are you still there?

Yes. I was born and raised here, and I don't think I'll ever leave permanently. I've been lucky enough to travel quite a bit, and that's good enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment