Friday, December 13, 2019

Are You Ready To Rock? with Waingro

Waingro
Who loves Vancouver? When I was in Mexico last week, I spent about 3 hours at dinner with a whole table of people from British Columbia. They were super nice.

While you're thinking about those folks and what they were thinking about my Ramen inspired "Send Noods" t-shirt...

Check out some Doom Stoney Grunge stuff from that great province....here's a BANDCAMP for ya!

1. Every major band worth its salt has released a live album. Tell me about your favorite A list band's live record and your favorite underground live album.

Generally, I really can't stand live albums, but there are a few that have snuck by and ended up in the ol Spotify rotation. 

KISS Alive! is probably the one I've gone back to the most consistently - we'll address the controversy of that whole situation in a couple of questions.  

Underground live album? Hmmm. Not sure if Killing Joke ever put out a record to match their live DVD from 2003, but that would be one of the best live albums.

That shit slays. But maybe that's not underground? I'm blowing it already...

2. Kiss, Metallica, Led Zeppelin, etc, all have released several live sets. Tell me about a band who's gotten you to purchase multiple live sets and why?

Honestly, I've never purchased a live album, but I sure as heck have collected more than my share of live bootlegs. 

Wait, that's a lie - I definitely bought Pantera 101 proof. Man, that was good. Too bad they love them confederate flags a bit too much!

3. Now, it's time to take a stand. Would you rather have an album like Kiss's Alive! where the tracks were doctored into perfection or would you rather have a Jimi Hendrix Live At Berkeley set where they just mixed and mastered the tapes?

Oh, hands down KISS Alive!! (I had to add my own exclamation point there). Don't get me wrong Jimi is great, but I'm not sure Jimi is on the same level as Paul Stanley for on-stage banter. 

I mean, do we know exactly what they went back and punched up? Cause if it was the in-between banter, I would lose my mind. 

Like, did he shit the bed so bad at the live shows that he had to take the tapes back and have a think on it? Please tell me that was the case. 

4. In the early '90s, Anthrax released a live album called Live: The Island  Years. Due to reasons beyond Anthrax's control, this one just never felt right to me and I soon unloaded it. Tell me about one that disappointed you when it came out?

It's usually when a band tries to punch up their bonus material so they can charge more and stick two or three live songs at the end of a Japanese release or something. 

Those generally always disappoint. Except for Faith No More - they consistently nailed it for the most part. Oh man, the other guys would kill me for saying that cause they hate Faith No More.

But they're not here, so they can kiss it!

5. What's the right length for a live album?


However many were on KISS Alive!.

No comments:

Post a Comment