Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Classic Spins with Getaway Van

Getaway VAn
Let's get back together with Getaway Van.

It would appear that they're trying to lose us, but when you're so fancy you have a legit website, how hard you really trying?

By the way, check out GETAWAY VAN's site.


In the meantime, let's get spinning.

1. My favorite kind of album is the concept album. The Wall is my absolute favorite. Beyond the amazing songs, it has spectacular nostalgia for me. What's your favorite one and why?

Charlie: I honestly can’t say that I necessarily have a favourite concept album, as it’s not a driving factor for me in my music tastes.


 However, if it counts, I’d probably go with Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness by The Smashing Pumpkins.


Zack: That's a tough one.  Hmmm, lately I've been really loving ‘In The Aeroplane Over The Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel’. 

The music is beautiful, ranging from incredibly soulful, and emotional acoustic ballads, to intense, almost punk rock adventures through the narrator's story.  With themes of love, loss, and the Holocaust it's hard not to let this one get in your head, and heart.

Derek: De-Loused in the Comatorium by The Mars Volta. The levels to the writing and composition of that record are unbelievable. If you’ve not heard it, pick it up and play it. 

The album was based on the short story that 2 of the band members wrote about a person who overdoses on morphine, which is in reference to one of their friends. The album is supposed to be the view from within the coma. 

Then a month before the record was released, one of the story writers himself passed from a heroin overdose. Everything about that album is wild. Read up.

Devon: My all-time favourite band overall is Green Day. I love the American Idiot/21st Century Breakdown era. I love when bands tell a story with their music. My Chemical Romance’s Black Parade album is also amazing. I think it’s great when bands take a more theatrical approach to their music.

2. My very first album was Live Evil b Black Sabbath. Since then I've had a strong affinity for the live record, even if they're a bit fake. KISS set the bar with Alive!. Surely, it was fake, but it's got the best concert feel of anyone.

Tell me about your favorite live record?


Charlie: My favourite live record is Skin & Bones by Foo Fighters. They played at a smaller theatre in LA and played an acoustic set and I just think it’s beautifully done.

Zack: I don't believe it's been released as an album, but Bon Iver played a concert for NPR MUSIC FRONT ROW and it is incredible, in my opinion.  You can find the concert pretty easily on YouTube. Just seeing all the lengths he goes to in order to recreate, and even add to, the massive songs in his catalog is truly impressive to me.  Beautiful stuff.

Derek: Live at Copps by Alexisonfire. Those guys can’t do anything wrong in my books.

Devon: Green Day’s Bullet in a Bible is definitely up there for me. Also, AC/DC Live at Donnington. To me, that was when AC/DC was in their prime, especially with Chris Slade on drums.


3. There are a great number of records I've turned to for my moods. What do you listen to when you're angry? Sad?
Charlie: My go to’s when I’m angry are Alexisonfire and Thrice. When I’m sad, probably the Beatles.

Zack: When I'm pissed nothing's better than System of A Down’s self-titled debut.  It gets my blood pumping, great music to be angry too. 


Sad 9n the other hand gotta go back to Bon Iver with his heart-wrenching debut ‘For Emma, Forever Ago’.  

Anyone can pick up an acoustic guitar and sing a sad song, but never is it as soulful, haunting, and confronting as it is here. Grab a bottle of wine and some tissues.

Derek: If I’m anxious or worked up, I put on Orion by King Buffalo. It ambient and helps calm me down. When I’m pumped, I’ve lately thrown on some Elephant Tree, early Queens of the Stone Age, or Alexisonfire.

Devon: I come from a PunkRock background, so if I’m pissed it’s usually something loud, and fast. I also listen to a lot of Motorhead. 


When I’m sad, it’s usually something slow and softer. Sometimes even something a little Emo like Senses Fail. I also love Alkaline Trio. A lot of their songs deal with depression and alcoholism but in a fun kind of way.

4. One of my friends laughs at me, routinely, for loving the Misfit Toys of albums by major bands. Lulu by Metallica and Lou Reed, Carnival of Souls by Kiss, Diabolous En Musica by Slayer, etc.

What's the strange one that you love?
Charlie: I honestly am unsure if I have an answer to this question. I’ve never known any of the albums I’ve ever put on could be considered “misfit albums” haha.

Zack: Pink Floyd's albums ‘A Momentary Lapse of Reason’ and ‘The Division Bell’ has always been awesome to me.  


I know a lot of people don't really consider them to be Floyd albums without Roger Waters being on them, but I don't care!  I still love the anthemic rock that David Gilmour brought forth with these two.

Derek: I don’t know man, but I’d sure like to see a Christmas album by Sleep.

Devon: It’s hard for me if I love a band they can really do no wrong by me. I suppose that means I like a lot of albums that could be considered “misfit albums."


About 10 yrs ago, Alkaline Trio put out an album called “Agony and Irony," and it wasn’t so well received by fans, but I loved it.

 Like I said, if it’s one of my favourite bands, usually they can do no wrong.

5. It's almost fashionable to release live versions of albums or re-record the old ones. King Diamond is releasing a concert with Abigail front to back. Roger Waters has done The Wall twice. Which ones do you have in your collection?
Charlie: I can’t say I have any straight up live versions of albums. I have albums of live concerts, but not the other way around.

Zack: I love that greatest hits album The Police put out where they re-recorded all of the songs.  Good stuff.

Derek: Built to Spill just did an entire tour playing Keep it Like a Secret, so if a recording comes out from that - it will be my favorite. 


It’s still one of my favorite vinyl to put on at home, my brother got me that for Christmas one year. Props Devon.

Devon: Alkaline Trio did this thing called “Past Live” where they would play 2 of their albums each night in entirety. They recently released all of them from those shows and the sound great.

No comments:

Post a Comment