Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Classic Spins with Autumn Doyle of Forever Autumn

Forever Autmn
It's been some time since we've checked in with acoustic doom metal act, Forever Autumn.

So, it's probably about that time again wouldn't you say?

Hit up the BANDCAMP to stream and buy the latest.

1. My favorite kind of album is the concept album. The Wall is my absolute favorite. 

Beyond the amazing songs, it has spectacular nostalgia for me. What's your favorite one and why? 

'The Wall' holds a special place for me too but my favourite concept album, and one that I return to agayne and agayne, is David Bowie's 'The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars'.

 Ev'ryone holds those albums that have been with them through thick and thin within their being and that feeling of nostalgia is especially strong after that album haes brought you back to life numerous tymes. I rank 'Ziggy..' amoung those for me.

2. My very first album was Live Evil by Black Sabbath. Since then I've had a strong affinity for the live record, even if they're a bit fake. 

KISS set the bar with Alive!. Surely, it was fake, but it's got the best concert feel of any one. Tell me about your favorite live record?

'Live Evil' waes actually one of my first CDs. It waes a favourite for a long tyme. Perhaps after this interview I will dust it off and give it a good proper listen agayne.

My favourite live album however, would be 'Show' by the Cure. There is an odd warmth in the cold and comfort to that record.

It is nearly essential on the ride home or to the hotel after shows. Unfortunately, I should be thinking about getting a new copy as myne is well worn and soon will give up the ghost.

3. There are a great number of records I've turned to for my moods. What do you listen to when you're angry? Sad?

That is a good question. I don't know if I feel much anger anymore. I feel like it morphs and masks itself in other confusing emotions, such that it is no longer recognizable as anger, but still eats away. 

It is difficult to say what I listen to at those tymes. I know that for sadness there are many. For instance; if it's a sort of 'i'm sad but it's okay' sort of feeling, I will return to the above mentioned album 'Show' by the Cure. My Dying Bride's 'Turn Loose the Swans' comes in many moods, sadness can be one of them.

There can also be those hopeless sadnesses that may best be soundtracked by Mournyng Beloveth's 'The Dawning of Mournful Hymns' or Forseti's 'Erde' (which too can cover many moods)

4. One of my friends laughs at me, routinely, for loving the Misfit Toys of albums by major bands. Lulu by Metallica and Lou Reed, Carnival of Souls by Kiss, Diabolous En Musica by Slayer, etc. What's the strange one that you love?

For this question I will turn to my well-dated Russian Gypsy Records. They may not be released on major labels, but they are special and strange all the same. I have amassed a whole collexion. 

Amoung those that I especially love are Alya's 'Songs of a Russian Gypsy', Sasha Polinoff's 'Balalaika' and the Yale Slavic Chorus. .

5. It's almost fashionable to release live versions of albums or re-record the old ones. King Diamond is releasing a concert with Abigail front to back. Roger Waters has done The Wall twice. Which ones do you have in your collection?

I don't know if I collect any re-recorded albums (except my own; Waiting for Oktober). I tend to be more of a traditionalist, preferring the originals.

However, original copies can be hard to come by or ridiculously expense. I have no qualms about re-printed albums.

 The quality and recordings are all the same though it may be printed on new vinyl and thus more readily, and economically available.

No comments:

Post a Comment