Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Classic Spins with Tides of Sulfur

Tides of Sulfur
Whenever Monty Python members, apart from Terry Jones, are asked to describe the Terry Jones, they always start off the same way.

He's Welsh.

Well, what in the world does that mean? I don't think I'm speaking out of turn here across the pond when I say that Americans, by and large, don't think of Wales as something apart from England. Hell, most of us barely understand that Scotland is something different.

Roger Waters also sang about Wales...the blood red dragon on the field of green.

Incidentally, there's a Welsh flag on my street. Maybe I'll head over there with my copy of Radio KAOS one of these days and a sixer of beer....see if we can be friends.

While I'm steeling myself for this uninvited excursion, let's all get down with Welsh sludgers, Tides of Sulfur.

Get thee over to BANDCAMP for a copy of their latest record via Sludgelord Records.

You can even get it as a record!

1. My favorite kind of album is the concept album. The Wall is my absolute favorite. Beyond the amazing songs, it has spectacular nostalgia for me. What's your favorite one and why?

Concept albums are a great idea and can be tricky to do right. 'Operation: Mindcrime' by Quuensryche is pretty radical, and Bowie's 'Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust...' stands out as a favourite.

We've always tried to put releases together that fit thematically and even had plans to do a concept album about Welsh mythology but that's on the backburner!

2. My very first album was Live Evil b Black Sabbath. Since then I've had a strong affinity for the live record, even if they're a bit fake. KISS set the bar with Alive!. Surely, it was fake, but it's got the best concert feel of any one. 

Tell me about your favorite live record?

People may laugh at my choice here, but 'Slade Alive!' is vastly underrated; Jimmy Lee's bass sound (as well as his solo) was a huge influence.

Back in my younger punk days, 'I Heard They Suck Live' by NoFX was the shiznit.

3. There are a great number of records I've turned to for my moods. What do you listen to when you're angry? Sad?

I tend not to listen to much music when I'm angry; I prefer to write lyrics.

As a near lifelong sufferer of depression, music is a great healer and I find solace in albums like Today Is The Day's 'Temple Of The Morning Star' and 'When The Kite String Pops' by Acid Bath so I've got to give them props.

4. One of my friends laughs at me, routinely, for loving the Misfit Toys of albums by major bands. Lulu by Metallica and Lou Reed, Carnival of Souls by Kiss, Diabolous En Musica by Slayer, etc. 

 What's the strange one that you love?

I'd say my musical taste is quite eclectic anyway; Jessie Ware, Simon & Garfunkel, Bon Iver and Desmond Dekker are all on heavy rotation.

On our Tides road trips, we listen to a lot of hip hop as well as some classics from the 70s, 80s and 90s.

I don't think anyone should judge another on what they enjoy listening to; if a song speaks to you, no matter who it's by, it should be a positive right?

5. It's almost fashionable to release live versions of albums or re-record the old ones. King Diamond is releasing a concert with Abigail front to back. Roger Waters has done The Wall twice. Which ones do you have in your collection?

 I don't have any. Sorry to be a buzz kill.

No comments:

Post a Comment