Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Are You Ready To Rock with All Else Fails

If you're looking for some metal out of Canada, All Else Fails might be the one for you. They're lyrically conscious and apparently aren't worried about what others might think of their titles.

You can get all of their info at their website HERE.

In the mean time, let's talk about some live records.

1. Every major band worth its salt has released a live album. Tell me about your favorite A list band's live record and your favorite underground live album.

Without question, Metallica's S&M is my favorite. Such an amazing piece of art transcending the band's genre, sound, and expectations. 

I don't really have a favorite indie live album, to be honest though, it's not my favorite way to listen to bands I love. 

2. Kiss, Metallica, Led Zeppelin, etc, all have released several live sets. Tell me about a band who's gotten you to purchase multiple live sets and why?

I bought that huge Metallica box set when I was a kid and thought it was the greatest thing of all time, but I've never felt the need to buy another one (other than S&M like I mentioned, but that's pretty different). 


Also, YouTube means we can legit see live footage before it gets touched up, so that would be my go-to now anyway. 

3. Now, it's time to take a stand. Would you rather have an album like Kiss's Alive! where the tracks were doctored into perfection or would you rather have a Jimi Hendrix Live At Berkeley set where they just mixed and mastered the tapes?

The Hendrix approach, no question. What's the point of a live album if everything has been re-recorded.

4. In the early 90's, Anthrax released a live album called Live: The Island  Years. Due to reasons beyond Anthrax's control, this one just never felt right to me and I soon unloaded it. 


Tell me about one that disappointed you when it came out?

This is going to be controversial, I've always thought Pantera's Official live 101 proof is kinda shit. 

They are great live, but the sound is kinda shit.

5. What's the right length for a live album?


1 hour tops, anything longer is too much of a slog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment