Thursday, January 2, 2020

Vinyl Review: "My Universe" by Lucid Child

My Universe
So, this PR firm sends me an email espousing this band, this sound, this idea, and do I want to hear it on vinyl?

Couple that with the RIYL: Hawkwind, Public Image, LTD, Tool, KLF, Spacemen 3, Beck, and Spirtualized Clinic and you've got me hooked like nobody's business.

If you're looking at that list of artists and wondering who half of them are whilst loving and being confused by the other half, I see you.

We are all of us.

I mean...Hawkwind, Public Image LTD, and Beck?

Let's be honest straight away, I'm not 100% sure I'm hearing any Beck, but I'm also not the biggest Beck fan. I mean, if Bender Bending Rodriguez isn't involved, it's hard to say that I really care.

The particular RIYL list there is odd isn't it? Just that one sentence in the email made me want to hear this record.

So, oddly enough, my stereo was still on Hip Hop settings before the needle hit wax. Considering that the first track started off with big booming bass notes, you know old school hip hop stuff like Machine Head, it seemed that serendipity was with us.

It moves into this fuzzy, twisted, sort of time warpy thing.

For the duration of the album, it careens back and forth between extremely trippy and nearly metal. It seems to this blogger, that this band was quite clearly stoned during the writing, the recording, and the perfecting of this record.

Now, your friend and humble narrator doesn't toke as it were, so in order to get into the right headspace... He began drinking hoppy beverages as hops are a cousin to Mary Jane.

It feels sort of arrogant to say that putting back some DIPAs, Hoppy Lagers, and whatever else was in the beer fridge was the key to understanding this winding album, because I still don't think it's entirely possible to pick up what Lucid Child is putting down.

My Univerise isn't pushing a straightforward message. Perhaps Lucid Child was feeling a bit less than lucid...?

Whatever they and this record may or may not be, Lucid Child's My Universe is everything that's wonderful about the modern music era. These clearly insane people have crafted a record that would never hit the top of the charts in any era.

It's too extreme for 1967, it's too strange for 1985, it's just too winding for 1999. And in the greatest irony, it's too retro for 2020.

In any of the aforementioned eras, bands weren't able to do the records they wanted. We all know it's true. Let's pretend no longer that our favorite bands in the classic days didn't have an A&R man in the room giving them the thumbs down....

Nowhere in the world is there someone saying, you know, that boom boom boom bass part, that totally goes with those psychedelic guitar solos and that chiptune like intro.

Also, that keeping your arms and legs outside the car motif?

Pure genius.

One of the things I take flack for is saying that we are currently living in the best era for new music. Sure we don't have a Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Metallica, or Nirvana, but none of those eras had a Mozart either.

In 2020, I connect more with smaller bands because the stuff I love is directed directly at me. It's not butter that's got to be spread across the whole piece of toast.

If progressive insanity is your jam, get with Lucid Child.

Expect nothing from this set up besides a no frills all (musical) thrills package. There's no lyric sheet, no gatefold, and no download code (at least in my copy).

What you'll get is an amazing record that sounds like god herself.

Release: Feb 2020 Bandcamp Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment