Thursday, August 23, 2018

5 Minute Origin Stories with Hate Diplomacy's Joe Randaza

Hate Diplomacy
Hopefully by now, you've checked out Rant by Hate Diplomacy.

If not, right now you have two options as I see them:

1. You head over to Facebook and tell them why not.

2. You check out the link I just posted up at the top. It's hard to imagine anyone who reads this site not being interested in this album.

But, just in case that's not enough, Hate Diplomacy's Joe Randaza gives us all the goods one more time.

Check this one out, it's worth your time.

1. Is there an event you can point to you that made you say, wow, that's the instrument I want to play? Not like guitar or drums, but the reason why you play the model you do?

 Always been a fan of the Telecaster style guitar. I was trying to make one custom from scratch but really liked the color of the ESP one Im using now and went for it.

2. How do you write a song?

If I come up with a riff in my mind I try playing it in the guitar and if I really like how it sounds and feels then I start going with the flow and finding other riffs to go around it. When I'm in writing mode I try not to listen to any metal at all.

I listen daily to punk, ska, salsa, bachata, rap, trap and many other kinds of spanish popular music anyway more than metal. Sometimes If i listen to a song that makes me feel a certain way with the melody I try to make something of my own using that feeling as base.

I like songs to be short, straight to the point and try to make every riff count and that people can understand live even when they never heard the song before. I'm always thinking of the drums through all my process but Chris Kulak comes up with something even better than I had in mind every time.

3. How many concept records do you own? Could you ever write one?

None right now. I love it and respect it but I think is one of the most difficult things and won't work for us since we have so many things to talk about.

4. Who's influence is most evident in your music? The least?

My influences are weird because of the circumstances I learned about music back in Puerto Rico. The obvious metal bands like Dying Fetus, Sepultura, Slayer, Deicide are there but I think my strongest influences are Brujeria, Cradle of Filth and Puerto Rico Hardcore bands like Down and Out, KDC, Un Final Fatal and Tropiezo.

You see, I've been playing since 2006 in this band and I didn't know what Brutal Death Metal was. I knew I liked the blastsbeats and melodic riffs from Cradle of Filth and thrashy fast songs with heavy riffs from Brujeria BUT I started going to Puerto Rico Hardcore shows and loved the breakdowns and sing alongs.

Now days I have my own base and mindset of how I like songs to be for Hate Diplomacy but that's the story behind how I got there.

5. Which one of your songs is the one your the most proud of?

Its hard to pick one but Fed Up is the oldest song and I'm proud of how many people have reach out to us to let us know they love that song. The first riff of the song came to me while I was playing a classical guitar in my room in February 2007.

It has gone through many changes but the album version is definitely the heaviest.

6. Sum up your latest record for us.

Lots of hard work from everyone involved. Its our baby. We are very proud of it and more than music is a message of how we feel about the world and us trying to counter negativity.

We want people to really identify themselves with what they are listening and maybe help them in a way all this while playing the music we love. You will listen to a band that's not writing music thinking they wanna sound like the bands they admire and are most influenced by.

You will listen to a band that puts no limits on their creation process so you really hear the music we all love without following a trend or staying within lines drawn by slam/death metal elitist. You will feel the death metal parts and the hardcore almost in every song.

We know and understand is not everyone but we are beyond grateful to everyone that loves the album and had shared it and reach out to us to let us know.

We love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment