Thursday, August 2, 2018

Vinyloscopy with MC Lars

MC Lars
Now, you out there in the ether might think that I'm cool.

It's possible you've come to that conclusion, after all, you saw the interview I did with Rex Brown (Pantera, Kill Devil Hill) right?  Truly though, I am now, and always have been nerdy. I don't mean that hipster nerd BS that's out there these days.

So, one of the things I totally dig is music about fan cultures that I've always been into. Anime, Star Wars, Star Trek, video games, and literature.

MC Lars is one of the big names in Nerdcore Hiphop who's out there day in, day out, writing the songs he loves, spreading joyful smiles, and hustling as hard as he can. Toxic Toast Records just released his last two albums (of like 739) on glorious 33rpm vinyl, but those were his last two albums.

As a man who's always working and recording, MC Lars and Megaran have an album up for preorder now on Kickstarter, The Dewey Decibel System, about their favorite works of literature. If you're not up on the preordering, make sure you check out the Facebook.

As he's in the vinyl world now, it seemed like a good time to ask him about records.... see below.

1. Listening to Black Sabbath's eponymous debut the night I got it blew me away. What's the album that sounds the best on vinyl compared to digital sources? 

Nirvana's "Nevermind" sounds great on vinyl, since they really were a more organic sounding band that happened to break through during the beginning of the height of CDs. Something about that album on vinyl just feels more right, as it straddled two eras.

2. I was laying in bed one night and couldn't sleep and I figured, it was time to start buying records. How did you come to the idea that it was time to start buying vinyl instead? 

When I would be on tour and have extra money, I would buy lots of vinyl. Last summer, though, I got into minimalism and sold pretty much all of my records. Trying to downsize and live a life with less material possessions. While I appreciate the concept of vinyl, collecting them is honestly no longer really a big hobby of mine.

3.For my old stuff, it's vinyl worthy, for new stuff, it's all vinyl if available. Do you buy everything on wax or do you have a vinyl worthy category?

I stream most new stuff on Spotify, to be honest. This might sound like heresy for your magazine, for which I apologize, but I think the Spotify royalties are pretty good! As an artist, that service pays most of my rent.

4. My second living room is where I keep it all. Upstairs, my early 70's receiver, with a 70's turntable and 70's 5 way speakers. Tell us all about your vinyl set up.

That is awesome! I have a tiny record player in my bedroom, where I keep my only two albums, ICP's "Great Milenko" and Nirvana's "Nevermind".

5. Do you read the lyrics and go over the inserts when you're spinning? 

No, but I love that idea! Media consumption without a phone or laptop? What?? Awesome.

6. When someone says, I'm stupid for buying records, I tell them, thanks, more limited edition colored vinyl for me, what's your answer? 

People's opinion of my consumer habits could not mean less to me. Since I don't really buy vinyl anymore, people don't really comment on my vinyl buying habits.

7. My first album ever was Live Evil by Black Sabbath, so I'm stuck on live albums. What's the best live album on vinyl?

Neil Young's "Live Rust" is so good! I love how it has an acoustic side and a live side. Amazing album.

No comments:

Post a Comment