Tuesday, September 17, 2019

1Up with Marc of Cruickshank

Cruickshank
For the first time, on record, Glacially Musical is speaking to someone even more northern than The Northwest Territory of Canada...

Iqaluit, Nunavut.

If you're unfamiliar with the city or the territory, check out the Wikipedia Article.

To me, in a city with only 15 thousand residents, it must be kismet to find like minded musicians.

But we didn't do this for a geography lesson...let's talk about video games, but if you don't mind...

Check them on the Bandcamp first.

Glacially Musical: My first system was a pong clone, the yellow and black Odessey 300. What was your first Console?

Whoa, I’ve never even heard of that system. 


Mine was an NES that came with the orange gun. It had the classic Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt split release. 

I lost my goddamn pepper shaker of a mind that day.

GM: My stepdad was certain we'd destroy the TV playing Pong so we had to play it in secret, either when he was a sleep or when he was out of the house. Did you have to jump through any hoops to play games?


Holy fuck yes. That NES was the ultimate carrot. Didn’t clean your room, no NES. Didn’t do your homework, have fun colouring. 


It was the best shit in my life at the time so it had a lot of bargaining power. 

GM: What about hand held games? Is that something you ever got into?

A little bit. I had a few of those mega shitty TIGER ones. I remember the packaging looking awesome and the “games” never living up to that. 

GM: The idea of not being able to play something drove me nuts, so I started playing games in their original Japanese. Did you ever get into imports?


Sadly I didn’t but I had this one cartridge that some guy up the street leant me and it somehow had like, 80 games on it or some shit. 


No idea how that all came together.

GM: What's your favorite sports game?


Blades of Steel, hands down. Unless you count Tony Hawks Pro Skater. 

GM: Dragon Warrior got me hooked on turn based RPGs, something that's still happening. What's your favorite style of game and what was the first one you played?


I think my favourite style would be a hybrid RPG deal. Like, whatever Red Dead Redemption would be considered. 


I think the first of those I fucked with was Kings Quest. It was for an old computer and everything was a narsty shade of orange. 

GM: Favorite system?


Game Wave (Note: Do what now??)

No comments:

Post a Comment