Thursday, December 3, 2020

Classic Spins from Kyle Alexander of Alexander

When's the last time you thought about some heavy music from Germany? In my line of work, it's actually not been all that long, but it might be for you?

Nah, we both know that you're reading this and you're thinking about heavy bands from Germany on the regular.

Today we've got the progressive duo Alexander. 

They've got a record out there in the world...

Two tracks.

Here's some BANDCAMP action.

1. My favorite kind of album is the concept album. The Wall is my absolute favorite. Beyond the amazing songs, it has spectacular nostalgia for me. What's your favorite one and why?

Probably SLEEP – Dopesmoker.  The trials and tribulations of the weedians and hashishians and what they have endured in the smoke filled desert lands are that of legend. 

Plus maybe the best heavy record of all time

2. My very first album was Live Evil by Black Sabbath. Since then I've had a strong affinity for the live record, even if they're a bit fake. KISS set the bar with Alive!. Surely, it was fake, but it's got the best concert feel of any one.

Tell me about your favorite live record?

Death – Live in L.A.  The album is so huge and raw sounding – but something about that album just destroyed me more than any other, and certainly during that time of my life in 2001 having been so destroyed at Chuck’s passing. 

Also was really special to hear Richard Christy drum all of that classic material, I’m sorry folks but he’s just simply the best DEATH drummer by a landslide and he made those older songs shine like they never have. 

3. There are a great number of records I've turned to for my moods. What do you listen to when you're angry? Sad?

A classic angry record for me was Slayer – Christ Illusion.  Wow, that one really worked for me during that time let me tell you. 

I don’t really get angry per se these days though so I don’t have a typical now, but maybe Lustmord – The Word As Power.  Sad usually something neutral heavy like Melvins – Nude With Boots.  

4. One of my friends laughs at me, routinely, for loving the Misfit Toys of albums by major bands. Lulu by Metallica and Lou Reed, Carnival of Souls by Kiss, Diabolous En Musica by Slayer, etc. 

What's the strange one that you love? 

Diabolus was actually a massive one for me, was my favorite Slayer record at one point  Such a dark record!  The Cult – Beyond Good & Evil is the biggest probably for me, my absolute favorite but disinterested by all and was even deleted by the record label. 

That said, heaviest and best Cult record by a mile!

5. It's almost fashionable to release live versions of albums or re-record the old ones. King Diamond is releasing a concert with Abigail front to back. Roger Waters has done The Wall twice. Which ones do you have in your collection? 

The new Triptykon doing Requiem live at Roadburn is impressive! 


No comments:

Post a Comment