Thursday, June 28, 2018

Film School with LORD

Lord, of Virginia, is gearing up to release their seventh record, Desperation Finds Hunger In All Men.

They play a variety of sludge metal that borders on some serious death stuff, but featuring some odd vocal stylings...

In the meantime, let's find out more about them and their new record by talking about what kinds of movies they dig.

Glacially Musical:  What's the first movie you remember seeing as a child?

RIVERA:  To be honest, I can't really remember what was the 1st film i saw but the 1st one to leave an impression on me and captured my imagination would have to be Star Wars.

It didn't get much cooler than the original trilogy for a young boy who saw all of those movies in the theater when they came out.

A close 2nd would have to be the original Superman film starring Christopher Reeve,great effects for it's time and still remains my favorite portrayal of that character.

GM: When I was little, my parents didn't give a damn about what I saw when I was little, so it wasn't until I was about 12 that my folks told me to turn a movie off. What's the first one you were told you couldn't see/finish?

RIVERA: 
My parents were pretty liberal when it came to my movie consumption as a kid,I was able to watch movies like Terminator, Aliens, Predator, and Conan The Barbarian which all had huge amounts of violence in them, but the one that pushed them over the edge was Robocop.


That scene where he's brutally gunned down had to be one of the most graphic and over the top killings I had witnessed in a movie and they immediately shut it off.

We were promptly cut off from watching any Rated R films after that til we were of age but I would always be hanging at a friend's house and be watching horror movies and listening to music that I shouldn't have been.

The more you try to keep it from them,the more enticing it becomes.  

GM: The only time I walked out on a movie was when I saw An American Werewolf in London. I was too scared, but in fairness, I was five. Have you ever walked out?

RIVERA: The only movie that I ever actually walked out of was the Red Dawn reboot...


It was fucking awful. I've seen some bad movies but that had to be the worst remake of a beloved film of mine that I've ever seen.

There were so many plot changes and deviations from the original that they might as well have called it something else. It was such an obvious cash in on the "bright young upcoming stars of Hollywood" that it was sickening.

Hollywood needs to focus on some new/fresh ideas and quit pillaging and ruining the classics.It's one thing to try and capitalize on the nostalgia factor but they always seem to lack the heart and spirit or what made the originals so special. 

GM: Seeing The Empire Strikes Back in theaters sparked a lifelong love of Star Wars flicks. That was the first movie that I saw that brought me into a community. What's yours?

RIVERA:  
I'd have to say Star Wars as well.


There are many franchises that i follow but I'm a die hard Star Wars fan through and through. All of the recent Star Wars stories that are finally seeing the big screen are the direction I was always hoping they'd go.

There's a lot of great stories in that universe that have yet to be told and I'm down to catch them all.                       
GM: For the past 25 years plus of my life, I've been watching the Monty Python flicks and give me four minutes and I'll recite any scene from Monty Python and The Holy Grail at you. What can you watch that many times?

RIVERA: I have a list a mile long of movies that I've watched countless times and can recite every line.


Some of those would have to be Spaceballs, Conan The Barbarian, The Thing, Aliens,Wayne's World,Bill&Ted's Excellent Adventure and so many more         

GM: Comedies are the movies that really help me escape from daily life, well, those and Sci-Fi/Fantasy. What about you?

RIVERA: For me,it's definitely Sci-Fi/Fantasy that does it for me but I'm also a big fan of early 80's comedies like Caddyshack,DC Cab,National Lampoons Vacation and so many more cos they were just really well written without going overboard in trying to be edgy,they were just great films.


That's something that's severely lacking in comedies these days...great writing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment