Monday, June 25, 2018

Interview with The Dark Red Seed

The Dark Red Seed
From the Westernlands of Seattle, Washington, comes The Dark Red Seed, the side project of King Dude's guitarist, Tosten Larson.

In 2017 The Dark Red Seed emerged onto the scene with the EP, Stands With Death. Just last month, their full length debut was unleashed by Prophecy Productions.

Check out Becomes Awake now!

While you're checking that out, find out what they were willing to tell me....

Glacially Musical: Now, the question that'll annoy you, describe your music for someone who's never heard you.

DR:  Incomplete evolving intentional improvisational spirit channeling for outsiders and the masses 

GM: Does the song, The Mouth of God involve bacon in any way, shape, or form?
DR:  Obviously?

GM: It seems that there are no stones left unturned, in terms of instruments used, but is there something you'd never consider putting on a song?

DR:  What is an instrument anyways?

GM: How do you turn a collection of songs into a cohesive album?
DR:  Ah good question!  Through a combination of intentionality and accident!  Finding a common thread.  Whether it be a story, or a period of time maybe, or a specific collection and arrangement of instruments, or a particularly chosen musical scale.  

GM: Where did you find the most inspiration for
Becomes Awake?DR: My personal journey through pain, self doubt, insecurity and fear

GM: I find the title, in our current political climate, a bit provocative. Is there a singular theme you'd like your listeners to come away with on this one?


DR:  Yes, there are themes within themes here.  

But most importantly:  Try to be loving and kind to all people.  Love and fear(hate) are not dichotomous. 

GM: How did you come to create this particular collection of songs? 

DR: My personal journey through pain, self doubt, insecurity and fear

GM: What are the five most important albums of all time?
DR:  I don’t believe in such a thing as the 5 best albums of all time.  Music is subjective and very personal to most people on a deeply individual level.  

I would never be so entitle to tell anyone else what is good or bad.  Even for me.  If you asked me what my 5 favourite albums are now vs last are or 5 or 20 years ago I would probably have completely different answers.  

I will give you one album answer:  Brian Eno’s “ThursdayAfternoon”. Not because I think it is one of the best albums of all time but because I have listened to it more consistently that any other album for many years.  

It is a 1 60 minute long soundscape that is good for most situations:  reading a book, sitting in an airport, sleeping.  Whether happy, stressed or depressed this album allows for openers and space in my mind rather than directing my thoughts in a particular direction or specific idea.

GM: What is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?


DR:  I don’t know google it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment