Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Beer Thirty with Kyle Halldorson of Dizzy Mystics

There's a city in the prairies of Canada that I've been longing to visit since I first heard its name back in the 1980's when their hockey team played ours.

Winnipeg, Manitoba.

How many times have you heard it called the coldest populated city in the world? Right now in that city in the plains, it's MINUS 15 F (-26 C ). This is at the warmest point in the day.

My wife told me of a museum she wishes to visit up there, so we've got several reasons now, but what's life like up there?

What kind of music is made? How in the world can the even keep their guitars in tune?

Unfortunately, I have little information to offer you in regards to those questions, but Kyle Halldorson of Winnipeg's Dizzy Mystics was kind enough to talk about beer with us.

These mystical lads are a rock band that's got more ingredients than a TV Dinner, so for now, we'll just look into the beer scene.

1. My personal favorite beer style is the might Double India Pale Ale. The best DIPA in the world is STLIPA by Urban Chestnut. 

Tell me about your favorite style.

Kyle - That's a hard one. I've been really enjoying many IPAs, Blonde Ales, but overall what satisfies me most as a treat is good Stout.

2. Many international people have laughed at me for this, but American Beer is the best in the world. Not American Lagers that piss water is best used for drinking 15 of them while you're at the karaoke bar, but American Craft Beer. 

Which nation is pumping out the best beer?

Kyle - I'm a sucker for craft beers and Canada is kicking ass on that front. All my favorite beers have been local craft brews. 

Otherwise...as an import, Belgium Ales are delicious.

3. Even though I'm a giant beer snob, I'll drink beers that break the Bavarian Purity Laws. My personal favorite is Schalfly's Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout. It's a might 22oz of 10% ABV Stout aged in bourbon barrels. It'll warm your heart and soul. 

What beers do you love that break Reinheitsgebot?

Kyle - Seems that I enjoy all the beers that the beer snobs enjoy, without being cultured or educated in anything beyond the names and flavors. 

Answering this required some Google research to not much avail, so I'll say "any of that sounds good."

4. Right now, you couldn't pin me down and get me to give my favorite St. Louis Brewery, though Urban Chestnut's STLIPA does put them in the lead...but if you put a gun to my head, it’s Schlafly Brewing. 

What do you think of your local brewers?

Kyle - Winnipeg has so many great craft breweries. I can't choose a favorite between Barnhammer, Half Pints, Little Brown Jug, Torque. Any of those are a go to depending on what type of beer I crave.

5. Hops or Malt? Personally, I feel like a jerk for asking the question. Give me a malty Scottish/Scotch Ale or a hoppy DIPA...and I'm happy...but you got to pick one.

Kyle - I'm going to say Hops just because Scottish Malt Ales aren't a type I've frequented enough to truly pin down.

6. Whenever I'm road tripping. I'm always bringing back beers. Ohio, Great Lakes Brewing. East Coast, Yuengling. Western New York. Genessee. 

What do you bring home? 

Kyle - This answer will change as I travel more, but after visiting Nanaimo B.C. and trying Longwood Brewery's "Steampunk" beer.

I made sure to bring nearly a dozen tall cans home to Winnipeg.
I also loved Granville Island beers from Vancouver and I'm grateful they are sold in Manitoba liquor marts.

No comments:

Post a Comment