Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Classic Spins with Usurper's Rick Scythe

Usurper
If you get into your way back machine, head to Chicago in the early to mid nineties and you can meet this band that continued to write heavy metal Dungeons & Dragons long after it had been deemed cool.

That band was called Usurper and they've returned to the fore in order to bring us more heavy metal based folklore.

They were one of the first extreme metal bands to sing about those old heavy metal ideas.

Here's the good news, they're back and ready to drop their new record, Lords of the Permafrost, but that's not hitting your ear holes for about a month yet. Check back for a full review.

In the meantime, Rick Scythe is the first person to check in on my new column, Classic Spins.

Let's get it on.

1. My favorite kind of album is the concept album. The Wall is my absolute favorite. Beyond the amazing songs, it has spectacular nostalgia for me. What's your favorite one and why?

RS: I'm not huge into concept albums, but I think I would choose King Diamond, Abigail as my favorite.  For me, the music, lyrics and artwork really set an incredible mood. 

Those are some of the best King Diamond songs ever recorded. 

2. My very first album was Live Evil by Black Sabbath. Since then I've had a strong affinity for the live record, even if they're a bit fake. KISS set the bar with Alive!. Surely, it was fake, but it's got the best concert feel of any one.


Tell me about your favorite live record?

RS: Yes, Kiss Alive! and even Alive II are classics. I don't really care if a crowd is enhanced, it sort of has to be. 

If you are taking the tracks directly off the board and have a couple of overhead mic's, it will still sound rather small and sterile. I think the concept of enhancing the crowd noise is to give the listener a true feeling of being at a live, arena concert.

As far as a live metal album, I think Iron Maiden's Live After Death is a masterpiece! For extreme metal, nothing better than Sodom's, A Mortal Way of Live.

My personal favorite, (and I realize this probably doesn't count because a: it isn't an album and b: it isn't an official release), but I have an old VHS copy of the 1983 US Festival, and the Van Halen performance is 100% ass kicking American Rock n' Roll at it's finest! 


Their performance features no over dubs and no crowd enhancements, just a professionally shot, live concert and it kicks total ass. Makes me wish I could step into a time machine and actually be there.

3. There are a great number of records I've turned to for my moods. What do you listen to when you're angry? Sad?

RS: Music has always been an escape for me. I always hated overly political or preachy bands. 

When I'm in a great mood I like to crank Manowar's Kings of Metal and Louder than Hell

Manowar in general is my theme music for kicking ass in life. 

I also like albums that remind me of certain times of year. Around Halloween I like Misfits Walk Among US. 

Then when it is the first frost and starts getting cold and starts getting dark early, I like to listen to Isengard Vinterskugge, it reminds me of grey skies and drinking shitty beer outside for some reason. 

I generally don't listen to music when I'm depressed. Certain songs can get me depressed though with old, nostalgic memories. Alan Parsons Project. 

Eye in the Sky puts me in a nostalgic, mellow mood. 

4. One of my friends laughs at me, routinely, for loving the Misfit Toys of albums by major bands. Lulu by Metallica and Lou Reed, Carnival of Souls by Kiss, Diabolous En Musica by Slayer, etc. 

What's the strange one that you love?

RS: I never heard that Metallica Lou Reed album, but I'm kind of the same way with certain albums too. 

I like Music from the Elder by Kiss. VoiVod, Nothingface was an album I liked from day one. A lot of people into underground metal thought they wimped out or sold out when that album came out, but I always liked it.

Other albums that people goof on me for liking include: Dio Angry Machines, David Lee Roth Eat 'em and Smile,  and the first Ratt EP and Out of the Cellar. I know those first two Ratt releases aren't considered odd-ball albums, but because of their goofy image and cheesy lyrics, I could never fully support that band. 


It's hard to defend liking anything by Ratt, but the guitar tone and riffs are great on those early releases.

5. It's almost fashionable to release live versions of albums or re-record the old ones. King Diamond is releasing a concert with Abigail front to back. Roger Waters has done The Wall twice. 

Which ones do you have in your collection?

RS: I know there is a Destruction album where they re-recorded a bunch of old songs, I think I have that one. 

But as far a re-recording old songs, Usurper has done this in the past and will continue to do this. I get it, it's a double-edged sword. 

But as a musician, I will explain why we have done it and why we will continue to re-record older songs.

For one thing, we have signed some bad deals in the past, where we don't own the rights to our own recordings. One way around this, is to re-record songs, so at least we own these recordings and can release them how we see fit. 


This might also be the case with other bands.

Usurper has been around for over 25 years. I am the only member who has been on every release, yet the current core of the band has been together since 2003. 


The three of us,  (Rick Scythe/guitars, as well as original Usurper drummer/co-founder, Joe Warlord and long-time vocalist, Dan Tyrantor) have played many of our biggest shows all over the world together.

We have always played a lot of old songs, some of which are from albums that are long out of print, that have had different line-ups. These songs have become part of us individually and collectively. 


Even now, with our new bassist, (Scott Maelstrom), we have played some big fests together. So for us, we like to have versions of different, old Usurper songs, recorded with this line-up of the band. 

To me, it takes nothing away from the original versions, it just gives the fans a new injection of metal to enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment