Monday, March 4, 2019

Classic Spins with Deathkings

Deathkings
In 2011, the band now known as Deathkings came together. At that point, they were a nascent group of people who hadn't yet fully realized it.

In time, they came together even more, and then began to resemble Voltron, or maybe The Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.

Let's go with the latter rather than the former, because Voltron is from St. Louis, and Deathkings are from Los Angeles.

Unlike the Rangers and Haim Saban, Deathkings come from the grittiness of the streets of Los Angeles and their music reflects that.

Their last EP, Ex Nihilio, was released in December. Check it out on BANDCAMP and make friendly on FACEBOOK.

But for now, let's check the spins....

1. My favorite kind of album is the concept album. The Wall is my absolute favorite. Beyond the amazing songs, it has spectacular nostalgia for me. What's your favorite one and why? 

My favorite kinds of albums would be movie soundtracks and scores.  Primarily from the late '60s through the early '90s, although the more recent ones are also good as well.

2. My very first album was Live Evil b Black Sabbath. Since then I've had a strong affinity for the live record, even if they're a bit fake. KISS set the bar with Alive!. Surely, it was fake, but it's got the best concert feel of any one.

Tell me about your favorite live record?

My very favorite live record is Danzig's Thrall-Demon Sweat Live.  It's very short but the live versions on that album are some of my favorites, especially Sistinas.

3. There are a great number of records I've turned to for my moods. What do you listen to when you're angry? Sad?

When I'm angriest, I like listening to the Conan the Barbarian Soundtrack by Basil Pouledoris.  It's very uplifting and very calming but, if I need to stay angry, it can also help me focus and meditate on that anger.  

When I am feeling sad, I like listening to Michael Gira's Drainland.  This is one of the most depressing albums I have ever listened to and I hope I never reach as low as a place as he appears to during this album. 

4. One of my friends laughs at me, routinely, for loving the Misfit Toys of albums by major bands. Lulu by Metallica and Lou Reed, Carnival of Souls by Kiss, Diabolous En Musica by Slayer, etc. 

What's the strange one that you love?

Not any full albums come to mind however I've been known to the listen to the same 80s one hit wonder on repeat for days on end.  

Some highlights include Peter Schilling's Major Tom (I'm Coming Home), Howard Jones' Things Can Only Get Better, and Pet Shop Boys' West End Girl.

5. It's almost fashionable to release live versions of albums or re-record the old ones. King Diamond is releasing a concert with Abigail front to back. Roger Waters has done The Wall twice. Which ones do you have in your collection?

I recently got Mayhem's live album De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas. It was already a great album but the live version is so powerful!

No comments:

Post a Comment