Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Classic Spins with Weslie Negrón of Moths

Moths
This might be the first time I write anything about any bands from Puerto Rico. So, today, let's talk about Puerto Rico's own, Moths.

They're a stoner/progressive band, but if it's me, I'm calling them a progressive stoner band. That just seems to flow better for me.

Anyway, jump all over their self titled album HERE. Show them some undying love on FACEBOOK.


1. My favorite kind of album is the concept album. The Wall is my absolute favorite. Beyond the amazing songs, it has spectacular nostalgia for me. What's your favorite one and why?

Weslie Negrón: I love concept albums as well. I just love getting caught in the story and the different motives that the music persé shows to keep the story tight up during the whole album. 

Having said that, my favorite concept album (which also happens to be my favorite album of all time) it's Ayreon's "The Human Equation". This is a Rock Opera that has many great singers from the Heavy Metal world; people like James Labrie from Dream Theater, Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth, Devin Townsend, etc. and basically the story is about this guy that tries to commit suicide by crashing into a tree with his car. 

Instead of dying, he falls into a 20-day coma (hence why there are 20 tracks in the album) and each song has a different perspective about how he's struggling to get back to life. I won't say much more of the story, because I don't want to spoil it in case that anyone would like to listen to the album, but I can say that the story and the way that the instruments play a major role in the album it's just perfect. 

Also, the vocal performances of each and every one of the invited vocalist it's just phenomenal. If you haven't checked this album out, I totally recommend anyone to listen to it. 

2. My very first album was Live Evil b Black Sabbath. Since then I've had a strong affinity for the live record, even if they're a bit fake. KISS set the bar with Alive!. Surely, it was fake, but it's got the best concert feel of anyone.

Tell me about your favorite live record?

WN: Man, Opeth is my favorite band, so I would say that maybe between Lamentations and The Roundhouse Tapes are probably the most solid out of their live catalog, but, having said that, I don't think I can ever rule Iron Maiden's "Rock in Rio" out. 

I think this was my first introduction to Iron Maiden when I was like 13 years old and I remember thinking about how dark and cool the whole ambiance around them was. I also remember thinking of how great was Steve Harris' playing and energy, along with Bruce Dickinson's vocals, which were on point during the whole set. 

So, between those three I can say that those are my favorite live records, but Rock In Rio has a slight advantage just because, you know, it's Iron Maiden. 

3. There are a great number of records I've turned to for my moods. What do you listen to when you're angry? Sad?

WN: When I'm angry I always go for two records: Cattle Decapitation's Monolith of Inhumanity or Hatebreed's Supremacy. 

There is something about those two albums that just makes the stress kinda go away. They do feed the anger, but at the same time, it relaxes me. 

They're both super loud and angry records, so I think it makes sense to me to play them when I'm that way. 

Now, for when I'm sad, I turn to Steven Wilson, anything Steven Wilson. So, depending on how deep the sadness is, I may start with some Porcupine Tree, maybe In Absentia or Signify. 

If the sadness it's really there, then I just go to his solo record "The Raven that Refused to Sing". There is something about Wilson that really grasps the concept of melancholy and can make you feel exactly how he felt when he wrote those songs, it's mesmerizing and it heals, at least for me. 

4. One of my friends laughs at me, routinely, for loving the Misfit Toys of albums by major bands. Lulu by Metallica and Lou Reed, Carnival of Souls by Kiss, Diabolous En Musica by Slayer, etc. 

What's the strange one that you love?

WN: Hmm... this is a tough one, because must of my friends think that I listen to the worse kind of stuff. I would say that one album that a lot of people trashes and I still don't know why it's Trivium's "The Crusade."

I remember when I heard for the first time, I wasn't really into it, maybe because my best friend was trying to shove it down my throat, but as time passed by, I kept on listening to it and I really started to enjoy it. I even listened to it recently and it wasn't bad at all! 

I like most of the riffs and I think Heafy's vocals were really good too. I don't know... I just don't get the hate on this album.
.
5. It's almost fashionable to release live versions of albums or re-record the old ones. King Diamond is releasing a concert with Abigail front to back. Roger Waters has done The Wall twice. Which ones do you have in your collection?

WN: I have a few, including Roger Water's "The Wall" (2015) but my favorite live album version is Porcupine Tree's Anesthetize. 

I think this is one of the best live concerts edits ever made. The sound is great, the visuals are great, and the performance it's just flawless. 

This is the concert that made Gavin Harrison my favorite drummer. If you haven't seen or heard this album, I suggest you do so and do it quick!

No comments:

Post a Comment