Thursday, November 14, 2019

Hair Today Gone Tomorrow with Celestial Ruin

Celestial Ruin
There's nothing better than Canada. There I said it.

Canada is the best country in the world and they won't let me in. Well, it's not really their fault. I mean, I haven't tried to get in permanently.

I also haven't been invited and that's the real problem as I see it. So, let's talk to some Canadians right now.

Celestial Ruin was good enough to be silly with  me.

1. In 1982, we all thought Quiet Riot was metal if you were 7 like I was. Who was your first Hair Metal band?

I was only three years old, LOL. To be 100% honest, I was introduced to hair metal 8 years ago when I met my husband (our bass player), Mike "Dikk" Dagenais. 

My first exposure to hair metal was Motley Crue. They opened up a whole new world for music for me! I was lucky enough to see them in Las Vegas at their residency at the Hard Rock.

Crue has played a huge influence on Mike.

2. Who's in your Hair Metal A-List and why?

Motley Crue is definitely my favorite. Their music is just killer! Nikki Sixx writes such catchy melodies and they easily get stuck in your head. 

Skid Row. Sebastian Bach is hands down one of the best vocalists of all time.

I also really enjoy Bon Jovi, Poison, Def Leppard and Europe. I am all about songs that sound HUGE and have strong, entertaining front people. 

3. To me, there's no Hair Metal track better than Unskinny Bop. This is science. That song is so lovably terrible that it shakes your butt for you, but what's your favorite?

Hands down, Kickstart my Heart, Girls, Girls, Girls, Home Sweet Home, Shout at the Devil....basically anything by Crue lol.

I'll Remember You by Skid Row is also amazing. There are so many songs from that era that when you play them people can't help but sing along! (Living on a Prayer, Don't Stop Believing, Nothing but a Good Time). 

Whether you love or hate them, you will sing along.

4. What's the most cringe-worthy interview/video/moment from back in the day?

To be honest I think there are WAY more cringe-worthy interviews and video moments from today's "artists" then there were back then lol. 

5. What's the best Hair Metal studio and live album?

For this question I will turn to Mike as I feel he will have a much better answer than me.

MIKE: Best live album hands down, Ozzy Osbourne with Randy Rhoads. It was between the two of them, they were an amazing combination. That album was outstanding.

MIKE: Best studio albums to me was Hysteria by Def Leppard and Guns n' Roses Appetite for Destruction. Basically they were rock and roll magic! They had the biggest impact on the music industry and fans at the time.

6. What killed hair metal?

The 90's! lol. I believe so many people are now into music that no longer requires talent. So many musicians don't write there own music or are so autotuned that when you see them live you are left disappointed. 

Hardly any of today's top artists even play their own instruments. I am drawn to musicians who write there own material and when you hear them sing live you are blown away by their vocals and stage presence. 

I feel the hair metal era was a time of rebellion, freedom and rock! People were not afraid to speak there mind and there was much less sensitivity in the world. 

Sometimes I miss that attitude and feel like I was born way too late lol.

2 comments:

  1. How does one make photojournalist submissions to be included in your publication as a regional reporter? I do submissions to sources to help my friends the artists and acts here on the west coast of Vancouver B.C. I am always in constant communication with cfox and rock magazines and I want to have some positive involvement here within these publications as well if you do story submissions to add to your vast network of sources adding to your repertoire as an entertainment media new source. - #AgentOrange604

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would click the email me link on the top right. ;)

      Delete