Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Hair Today Gone Tomorrow with Curtis Dewar of Dewar PR

 It's time for a brand new column!

Once there was a time when hairspray, spandex, and songs about wholly inappropriate things ruled the world. Call it glam metal, hair metal, our Sunset Strip Rock. The name really isn't all that critical if you ask me.

What is critical is how it totally embodied the 1980's. Cocaine, money, and cheap sexy time. 

We are nearly 40 years out from when it hit the market after Quiet Riot's Metal Health broke causing all of these bands to crush it.

So, let's reach out and find what the current bands these days think of those times. For many of them, these bands are like Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath were to me in the 90's, amazing bands of yesteryear that don't precisely exist anymore.

We're starting this one off with publicist extraordinaire, Curtis Dewar of Dewar PR. If you're a band looking to get folks, like myself, talking and writing about you. Hit him up HERE.

But now, tease your hair and slip back into those leopard print tight pants.

1. In 1982, we all thought Quiet Riot was metal, if you were 7 like I was. Who was your first Hair Metal band?

It was either Bon Jovi or Stryper. I'm pretty sure the first hair metal I heard was "You Give Love A Bad Name" DEFINITELY, the first hair metal album I ever purchased was "To Hell With the Devil".

So it one of the two, but I would probably say that Stryper were *the* hair metal band I was mega into from the time I was 10-13 years old strictly due to not being allowed to listen to non-christian music at the time.

2. Who's in your Hair Metal A List and why?

Too many to name:
Stryper
Motely Crue
Madam X
Poison
Faster Pussycat
Twisted Sister
Skid Row

Just they're all so cheesy yet hooky at the same time. It's harder edged rock that is generally FUN and not whiny and "woe is me" type music.

Some of these bands are kinda "borderline" glam metal. For instance Twisted Sister, Madam X and Skid Row get pretty heavy.

3. To me, there's no Hair Metal track better than Unskinny Bop. This is science. That song is so lovably terrible that it shakes your butt for you, but what's your favorite?

Ooh, probably.... "Reserve The Right To Rock" by Madam X. The reason why is it's just so much fun!

I've got two more as well:

Girlschool by Brtiny Fox is amazing. It's a very hard rocking Cinderellish track and the video is fricking hilarious: The band are playing while a bunch of schoolgirls rock out.

Also Cherry Pie is great for the main reason that it's both silly and fun at the same time. I mean it's one of the goofiest tracks ever made, but I just love it.

AAAAND Seventeen by Winger also rules. Yes, it's creepy nowadays the track is so goddamn hooky.

4. What's the most cringe worthy interview/video/moment from back in the day?

The Sebastian Bach "Aids Kill F..gs Dead" shirt controversy

5. What's the best Hair Metal studio and live album?

Hmm... Probably Too Fast for Love by Motley Crue. I used to think it was Shout At the Devil but in the last few years I've changed my mind. 

That album has got the perfect balance of hooks and sleeze. It's cheesy as hell but also probably one of my favorite albums of all time.

Live albums: A while back I had a tape that was a bootleg of a live Twisted Sister concert. It was fucking awesome.

6. What killed hair metal?

Nothing. It still lives. (Interesting take.)

No comments:

Post a Comment