Thursday, November 7, 2019

Vinyl Review: "En Las Montanas de Excesos" by Several People

En Las Montanas de Excesos
OK, I didn't put the names of the artists involved in this album in the title because there is no group name and they are listed individually.

Chris Cogburn

Ingebright Haker Flaten

Bob Hoffnar

Henry Kaiser

Look, I just wasn't sure if the whole thing would fit and not look all wonky when it came to be.

Cogburn is the drummer and apparently the leader and conceptualizer of this extremely strange record.

Haker Flaten plays the electric bass. Hoffnar plays pedal steel guitar, and Kaiser rounds out the quartet playing electric guitar.

In reality, I'm not certain if that information is going to be helpful or not to your enjoyment of this album.

About 20 years ago, I was riding in the car with my best friend and we were listening to The Grand Vizier's Garden Party from the legendary album, Ummagumma.

My buddy couldn't believe that I actually enjoyed what I was hearing at the time. It was too experimental, too avant garde, and just too weird.

That's a lot like this record right here.

There are two tracks, one per side, but it's just part 1 and part 2 I think.

You've basically gotten about 60% of the liner notes in this review, so....

What is this record? Really, that would be a hard thing to really describe and honestly, I'm doing you and them a terrible disservice by this review. If this doesn't turn out to be the shortest vinyl review yet and of all time, I'd be shocked.

I'm not just trying to get in more words.

This album is flat out strange. It came to me in a case of albums and it's lack of many tracks, a coherent band name, and it's complete lack of any sort of normalcy is what drew me to it.

You're only going really understand this album if you listen to it....and not to put too fine of a point on it, it's good.

Out Now Order


No comments:

Post a Comment