Monday, March 30, 2020

Classic Spins with Scorn's Steven Rowlands

Are you into some serious head banging death metal that's gonna make you think about the legends of old?

You might just be ready for Scorn.

You can check out their latest video on YouTube and if that gets you going, be sure to stream the rest of the album on BANDCAMP.

1. My favorite kind of album is the concept album. 

The Wall is my absolute favorite. Beyond the amazing songs, it has spectacular nostalgia for me. What's your favorite one and why?

I'm a huge fan of Rush, the album 2112 is my favourite concept album.

2. My very first album was Live Evil bY Black Sabbath. Since then I've had a strong affinity for the live record, even if they're a bit fake. 

KISS set the bar with Alive!. Surely, it was fake, but it's got the best concert feel of any one.

Tell me about your favorite live record?

My favourite live record is "Some Enchanted Evening" by Blue Oyster Cult. The version of "Astronomy" on that one is really something special.

3. There are a great number of records I've turned to for my moods. What do you listen to when you're angry? Sad?

That's a tough question because there's a good amount of different albums I like to go to. Gojira's album "The Link" or Sepultura's "Chaos A.D." are both good albums when I'm angry.

When it comes to being sad will typically listen to some lo-fi hip-hop or some older sappy ballads by The Beach Boys.

I'm particularly a fan of the song "The Surfer Moon"

4. One of my friends laughs at me, routinely, for loving the Misfit Toys of albums by major bands. Lulu by Metallica and Lou Reed, Carnival of Souls by Kiss, Diabolous En Musica by Slayer, etc. What's the strange one that you love?

I'm a fan of the album "Dying Breed" by Five Finger Death Punch.

I definitely get some flack for that when it gets brought up.

5. It's almost fashionable to release live versions of albums or re-record the old ones. King Diamond is releasing a concert with Abigail front to back. Roger Waters has done The Wall twice. Which ones do you have in your collection?

I enjoy the newer versions of the Electric Light Orchestra songs released in 2012.

The band just re-recorded a bunch of their hits and it sounds great!


No comments:

Post a Comment