Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Pizza Pie Do or Die with Nyiko

Every so often, it's nice for Glacially Musical to take a divergent path.

Sadly, my divergences are never quite as metal as the movie....of the same name.

But anyway, you might recall that I did a 7" vinyl review of his single, You Know I Loved It. I'm probably going to put that on the turntable today.

It's been too long I think.

But for the now, he's got a new single that dropped last month. The last few months for me have been just right for this kind of tunage.

Like The Movies has a modern era New Wave sound to me.

Check it on bandcamp, but right now, it's PIZZA PIE DO OR DIE!!!

1. Pizza is the world's most perfect food. This is not up for debate. Please define pizza as based on your geographical location.

I live in LA but I grew up in New Hampshire so I’ll do both!

New Hampshire: Crust is medium thickness, not too thin and definitely not deep. Conservative amount of sauce with a liberal amount of Italian seasoning. Cheese = lots of mozz. 

LA: basically no matter what style of pizza it is, someone will immediately compare it to the “authentic” version. Also, probably the most vegan options available in the entire US. 

Yee-haw!

2. It's going to get controversial now. Pineapple on Pizza. Why or why not? 

For me personally, pineapple on pizza is a no-no. Pizza is a savory dish and the sweetness of pineapple distracts from all the other ingredients.

3. For literally years, my family didn't order pizza from the take out places. We made Chef Boyardee boxed pizzas. After that, we only ordered St. Louis Style from Imo's. 

But finally in the LATE EIGHTIES, I had Domino's Pizza. Tell me your tale.

For the majority of my childhood, I ate pizza from one restaurant - Grappelli's Pizza in Peterborough. 

We would get cheese or pepperoni. The seasoning they put on that pie was like no other. Then there was a period in high school and into college that I would eat Newman’s Own Frozen Pizza at least twice a week. 

Pro tip: add fresh ingredients on frozen zah and it COMES TO LIFE babyyyyy. 

(In the Glacially Musical Test Kitchen, we cook bacon or steak, chop up onions,and add extra provel cheese and then we gorge.)

4. St. Louis Style Pizza is the perfect pizza, especially if you enjoy bragging about how much pizza you can eat, but when I'm out in other parts of the country, I seek out Chicago Style Pizza. 

What do you look for?

I always get excited when I find a Neapolitan or Naples-style pizza place. 

I love the big bubbles in the crust and the smaller size of the pie. The ingredients and toppings are always really high quality and intentional. 

Also, I can usually eat a whole pie to myself and be perfectly full.

5. Pepperoni, started giving me heartburn. So I switched to green peppers or onions. What's your go to topping?

I love a good veggie pizza, but if I’m limited to one or two toppings I go caramelized onions and those sweet sweet SHROOMS. 

6. What do you look for in pairing beer with your pie?

Honestly, ever since 2015, beer has given me the worst headaches. When I do drink it’s only on a special occasion. 

That said, from my experience, I really enjoyed drinking a nice Gose while chomping on a slice. 

The saltiness of the Gose helps bring out the flavor of the pizza while helping wash it down. Highly recommended! 

(Your problem might be drinking a Gose without being tortured to do so.....)

2 comments: