Monday, May 18, 2020

Vinyloscopy with Black Tractor

There are so many bands, many of whom I know and love records, but never released anyvvinyl album. Hell, one band, I brought records and beers over to have dinner to and with.

It's funny if you think about it, unless...of course, you know a bit about it. Releasing on vinyl in 2020 isn't what it once was. Two masters are required.

I'll tell you know, Glacially Musical has a secret musical project, but it'll never be on vinyl. So what the deuce am I talking about?

Black Tractor though, they've begun the preorders for their upcoming album. I'll probably preorder the crap out of it shortly.


Because, let's get on that stuff. They're on BANDCAMP and you can learn how to love them.

1. Listening to Black Sabbath's eponymous debut the night I got it blew me away. What's the album that sounds the best on vinyl compared to digital sources?
I really enjoy the sound of albums recorded in the 1970s.  Gil Scott-Heron's Pieces Of A Man sounds great.  Something about dropping the needle and hearing that opening bass line of "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised"  never gets old.  

It surprises me how badass it is every time.  The same track on a streaming service feels neutered.

2. I was laying in bed one night and couldn't sleep and I figured, it was time to start buying records. How did you come to the idea that it was time to start buying vinyl instead?

My older brother had gifted me his records when he went digital so I always had a collection of sorts.  It was disorganized and collecting dust in a corner.  My grandmother-in-law came to the house one day and gently told me I wasn't taking care of them.  

When a 95 year old Italian woman tells you to organize your records you'd be wise to do it!  The process revealed some real gems in the collection ( an autographed Chuck Mangione record!! ) and by the time everything was alphabetized and shelved I was hooked!  

My original intent was to just find the albums I loved  to round out the existing vinyl  collection.  That being said, I got all those favorites and never stopped adding to the collection.

3.For my old stuff, it's vinyl worthy, for new stuff, it's all vinyl if available. Do you buy everything on wax or do you have a vinyl worthy category?

If I buy anything new, it has to be vinyl.  The only CDs I've bought in recent years have been to support bands or artists who don't have vinyl available.  

I've also bought a few CDs that don't have vinyl releases, mainly releases from the time period where CDs were dominant.  And I suppose if the CD was 9.99 and the vinyl was 500 bucks I'd probably go the CD route.  I'd be pissed though.

So...to answer the question, It's all vinyl worthy if I can purchase it without feeling financially irresponsible.

4. My second living room is where I keep it all. Upstairs, my 1971 Sherwood 7100-S, Receiver,  1975 Pioneer PL-200, and 70's Sansui 5 way speakers. Tell us all about your vinyl set up. 


I actually have 3 setups.  A small one in my den.  It's just connected to my computer speakers and lets me listen to vinyl at the computer.  Another small one in the bedroom.

My main setup in the living room consists of an original Technics SL-1200 from 1983 paired with a Budgie tube preamp.  That feeds into a 1977 Kenwood KA-5500 which drives a pair of Klipsch Belle speakers that I bought from a coworker.  

They had cigarette burns all over the tops of them so I refinished them and replaced the crossovers and now they rule.  

5. Do you read the lyrics and go over the inserts when you're spinning?

Absolutely.  I'm a total lyric guy.  The art of the insert combined with the lyrics gives you a broader idea of what the artist intended. 

I write all the lyrics for Black Tractor so I was certainly stoked when we were finally able to include a lyric sheet in our latest release.  I also like to know who engineered, mixed or played what instrument and all that jazz.  

If a particular performance stands out to me, I'll look him or her up and check out the other releases they've been involved with or played on.

 6. When someone says, I'm stupid for buying records, I tell them, thanks, more limited edition colored vinyl for me, what's your answer? 

Every individual has something that turns them on.  I don't care to hear them babble on about yesterday's sporting event.  

I don't need to know about their children's amazing scholastic accomplishment.  I also don't expect them to understand when I'm excited to have procured an early pressing of "Speak English Or Die" by Stormtroopers Of Death.  

For a person who truly loves music, vinyl is the most complete and immersive medium to deliver the music.   Vinyl is fragile and particular. It takes up space in your home, The act of removing it from the sleeve and placing it on the turntable is tedious to some.  It also provides the best fidelity and largest artwork of any sound delivery medium.  

To the individual who wants the whole package, those inconveniences are welcome, even preferred. 

For those who hit play and walk away and do other things, Spotify and it's ilk are fine.  But if you sit down and pay attention, vinyl provides the most rewarding experience. 

7. My first album ever was Live Evil by Black Sabbath, so I'm stuck on live albums. What's the best live album on vinyl?

My personal favorite is Bursting Out by Jethro Tull.  It was recorded at various stops along their Heavy Horses tour in Europe in 1978.  

The crowd banter is great and the performances along with the instrumentation are amazing.  I concur that Jethro Tull's 1989 Grammy for metal performance is silly, but those dudes get pretty damn heavy on this record. 

They also get flutey and proggy and folksy because their Jethro Tull! 

8. Tell me about your latest vinyl release. 

"The Wonders Of The Invisible World"  is our 4th effort overall and our first vinyl release.  It's a concept album loosely based around the Salem witch trials.  

Each song addresses a sin or a society's particular  belief structures.  It's a heavy record, but also groovy as hell.  A few songs offer a reprieve from the brutality, one manifesting as a dusty acoustic ballad.  The band has built a small mythology around the release where we play shows as a faux, money grabbing traveling tent revival.  

A laser spewing, smoke bellowing pulpit and a sexy dancing nun all add to the production.  We got a security force that flanks the stage with nightsticks, protecting the band from those who might see through our red herring. It's completely silly but also alot of fun.  The album and live shows merge to form a complete concept.  

There's a lot of musical layers to the album, a ton of neat musical ideas if someone pays attention.

9. Listening to records is my comfort food for my soul. As mentioned earlier, I have a living room dedicated to it. I normally drink a beer or two whilst listening to music I love. Describe your normal listening experience.

I like to set aside a bit of time when I won't be bothered.  For critical listening, I prefer headphones as to block out the rest of the world.  

I sit down and follow the lyrics on the sheet and read the credits and take in all the art. I've found that following lyrics helps one to wrap your head around complex arrangements and they tend to make more sense to me if I have the lyrics as waypoints. 

I make it a point to listen to the whole record as it was intended, not just particular songs.  Sometimes I'll listen to a song 2 or three times to foster familiarity which often breeds appeal. Then I'll move on to the next track and repeat the process.  

It's a great feeling when an album clicks with you, when you begin to understand an artist.  That feeling is sort of like a drug, it's a personal high I can't find anywhere else.  

No comments:

Post a Comment