Thursday, January 7, 2021

Sophomore Jinx with Junior Bruce

If you're into stoner metal on the style of High On Fire, Junior Bruce is a name you really need to know. 

They're totally metal and sludgy....all that fuzz.

You can get stuck into their tunes HERE.

1. There is nothing more awkward than sophomore year of high school. Tell me about your circle of friends.

Matty and Shawn were probably my best friends at the time. 

Shawn was and still is an amazing artist who would get kids lunch money for drawing Iron Maiden and Metallica logos on notebooks and folders.

Matty drove a firebird and wore snakeskin boots and a Death Angel shirt. He also had this badass jacket with tassels. We started a band together that year.

2. By this time in my life, I'd given up on all extracurriculars in my school. Tell me about how you spent your afternoons.

I would skate to school and when school was let out I’d skate till late at night. It’s all I did at the time until I really got into music.

3. During this time is when I finally discovered Pink Floyd. I had a copy of The Wall on cassette. It was a grey one. That album was my escape. Let's hear about your favorite album from back then. What format was it on?

I remember wearing out a Master of Puppets record I had on vinyl. I’d blast that shit over and over on my parents stereo. 

I believe I blew the speakers with that record.

4. What was the name of your high school and did you have a favorite class?

Apopka High School.

Shawn and I took a graphics arts class and were able to make t-shirts and stickers. Was our favorite class by far. We made so many punk rock shirts. 

We ripped off Misfits, Exploited, Minor Threat, Samhain, 7 Seconds, Crumbsuckers, Dr Know, Bad Brains.. 

Good times.

5. How did your school's football team do that season?

They always did well, but I wouldn’t really know. I was always under the bleachers smoking and trying to be cool.

6. What instrument were you playing at that time?

Skin flute... and I was damn good.  

No comments:

Post a Comment