Friday, January 8, 2021

Vinyloscopy with Corners of Sanctuary

It's time for an introduction for some gritty fellows from the east coast city Philadelphia, PA...which is my one day home.

They're a modern heavy metal band that's stuck into the classic sound of the old school.

Even in this modern world, we're going to need some throwbacks.

I think my new friends might say that the Chief (Craig Berube) and Brayden Schenn might think so. Thank you guys for sending those awesome chaps our way here in St. Louis.

But check out their tunes HERE and let's hear about their records.

1. Listening to Black Sabbath's eponymous debut the night I got it blew me away. What's the album that sounds the best on vinyl compared to digital sources?

Mick Michaels: I love Judas Priest’s “Stained Class” album on vinyl. It’s so warm and punchy and the drum sound is amazing. To me, it has always been the ultimate sounding record on the vinyl format.


2. I was laying in bed one night and couldn't sleep and I figured, it was time to start buying records. How did you come to the idea that it was time to start buying vinyl instead?

Mick Michaels: In the 70’ and 80s buying vinyl was the norm for most us, so it’s what we grew up with. By the mid 80s, however, I started to buy cassette tapes as they were easier to carry around and I really dug the way Heavy Metal sounded on them.

3. For my old stuff, it's vinyl worthy, for new stuff, it's all vinyl if available. Do you buy everything on wax or do you have a vinyl worthy category?

Mick Michaels: These days I buy old vinyl and look to have the original artist sign them if I can. 

Playing with Corners of Sanctuary, I often have the opportunity to perform with bands from back in the day…so in the last 10 years I’ve started an autograph vinyl collection...

it’s like the best of both worlds...I get the original vinyl and I get an original autograph, plus I get a chance to work with that band...win, win, win for me!

4. My second living room is where I keep it all. Upstairs, my 1971 Sherwood 7100-S, Receiver, 1975 Pioneer PL-200, and 70's Sansui 5 way speakers. Tell us all about your vinyl set up.

Mick Michaels: Most of my collection is stored in protective boxes in a closet I have on my second floor.  All my autographed vinyl has been framed and lines the walls of my basement and studio area.

As for my stereo equipment, my set up is not as vintage as yours considering, but I do have a Sony component system I purchased new back in 1993...it seems to do the job for me.

5. Do you read the lyrics and go over the inserts when you're spinning?

Mick Michaels: I do…that’s a given and an essential part of the experience no matter how many times you have heard the record.

It’s definitely an essential part that is missing in modern times. Everything that came with the album and that was printed on the album was part of the listening experience.

6. When someone says, I'm stupid for buying records, I tell them, thanks, more limited edition colored vinyl for me, what's your answer?

Mick Michaels: To each his own.... Do what makes you happy and leave what others say or think for them to say and think...everyone needs a pastime.

Look to enjoy the moment.

7. My first album ever was Live Evil by Black Sabbath, so I'm stuck on live albums. What's the best live album on vinyl?

Mick Michaels: For me it’s Judas Priest’s “Unleashed in the East.” How much of it is really live?  Who knows but that was the thing back then…it’s labelled live, so it’s live to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment