Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Classic Spins with Saints of Death


Do you remember all of the albums that caught your ear when you were younger? 

Wouldn't it be interesting ti know how a band like Saints of Death, black metal from Vancouver, BC, heard music and it turned them into something different?

Could you imagine what it would be like had they listened to one of your favorite records by Stevie Wonder, Pink Floyd, or even Black Sabbath and took it to strange new places?

Well read on my friend!

Stream their record HERE.

1. My favorite kind of album is the concept album. The Wall is my absolute favorite. Beyond the amazing songs, it has spectacular nostalgia for me. What's your favorite one and why? 

Ash – Fear factory had a pretty cool concept album called Obsolete, it’s about robots taking over the world and wiping out man, that’s always a pretty cool topic. 


The songs were also super killer!


Juan - Periphery made a cool one called Alpha Omega, which was pretty cool it was a new take on an old concept, also the musicianship is incredible.


2. My very first album was Live Evil by Black Sabbath. Since then I've had a strong affinity for the live record, even if they're a bit fake. KISS set the bar with Alive!. Surely, it was fake, but it's got the best concert feel of any one.

\

Tell me about your favorite live record?


Chris - Ozzy with Randy Rhoads called Tribute, which was the tribute album to Randy Rhoads. 


The energy and guitar playing was awesome, and Randy was just phenomenal.


Juan – Judas Priest has a couple of good live albums. One came out called Priest Live in 1987 that was pretty awesome. I loved the back and forth guitar playing. 


Ash – Slayer put out a double album that was live called ‘Decade of Aggression’ which was a cool album with the original 4 members!


3. There are a great number of records I've turned to for my moods. What do you listen to when you're angry? Sad? 


Juan - Pantera 'Vulgar Display of Power' is a good one for me to listen to when I'm angry. When I'm sad I've been known to throw on some Elton John.


Chris - Bury Your Dead for me is a hardcore band I like to throw on when I’m in a pissed off mood. The breakdowns and open chugging riffs, much like Pantera, really pump you up!


4. One of my friends laughs at me, routinely, for loving the Misfit Toys of albums by major bands. Lulu by Metallica and Lou Reed, Carnival of Souls by Kiss, Diabolous En Musica by Slayer, etc.

What's the strange one that you love? 


Rodrigo and Gabriela or Metalachi for sure. Their mariachi takes on metal albums are always awesome to throw on, if you feel like being nostalgic but listening to something different.


5. It's almost fashionable to release live versions of albums or re-record the old ones. King Diamond is releasing a concert with Abigail front to back. Roger Waters has done The Wall twice. 


Which ones do you have in your collection?


Ash – I have a redone version of the first Suicidal Tendencies album. 


To be honest, I enjoy the first one better because it was a bit more raw and punk rock than the remastered version

No comments:

Post a Comment