Thursday, September 3, 2020

Vinyloscopy with Terry Jenkins of Draemora

Yesterday, when talking about records, Covid-19, and all that jazz on twitter, I counted how many albums I have added to my discogs profile since lockdown began...

The quantities just added in 2020 are a bit on the embarrassing side...

This only includes the albums that are in hand and not the ones that are en route....So, let's talk about what others are doing with their collections!

This Thursday, we honor the great god Thor with Draemora. They're a progressive death metal band from Seattle.

Stream their stuff HERE.

1. Listening to Black Sabbath's eponymous debut the night I got it blew me away. What's the album that sounds the best on vinyl compared to digital sources?

Black Sabbath's "Master of Reality" is an album all the way thought that needs to be listened to on Vinyl.  

The arrangements are are dark and heavy and I think that mono bass and lack of sub give it a warmth that is lost on its Compact Disc counterpart.  

2. I was laying in bed one night and couldn't sleep and I figured, it was time to start buying records. How did you come to the idea that it was time to start buying vinyl instead?

It's a big tangible piece of art, it's like a hoodie or a shirt from the show you just saw and I think it plays into our human need to create nostalgia to look back on and conjures up good and bad memories we attach to music through the years.  

From an audio perspective, vinyl is a different sound because to create the grooves in a piece of vinyl you have to take a lot out of a modern recording to conform to make it work for vinyl.  I think that without knowing that people take it in differently than they would a crystal clear recording.  

The wavelengths that often times exhaust our brains while listening to a newer style production are taken out in the vinyl format and I feel like its more conducive for the way we are wired to intake the sound in a less complex way so we can spend more energy enjoying the melody of a song rather than the complexity of the production.  

I also love how intentional putting on a record is compared to playing a Bluetooth speaker for background music.  I am usually in need of a certain vibe when I reach for vinyl and I am more involved. 

3. For my old stuff, it's vinyl worthy, for new stuff, it's all vinyl if available. Do you buy everything on wax or do you have a vinyl worthy category?

I love vinyl but there are some recordings that are just not special enough for me to buy vinyl for it.  I have to like a majority of the music on the album or I won't find it suitable to collect for later consumption. 

4. My second living room is where I keep it all. Upstairs, my 1971 Sherwood 7100-S, Receiver,  1975 Pioneer PL-200, and 70's Sansui 5 way speakers. Tell us all about your vinyl set up.

Its all downstairs in my living room.  My girlfriends Audio Technica turntable sits on top of our small entertainment stand and I push that through a modern Sony head that has an LR phono input that runs into some huge speakers

It's hella loud. haha.  

5. Do you read the lyrics and go over the inserts when you're spinning?

These days I always do if they're available. 

6. When someone says, I'm stupid for buying records, I tell them, thanks, more limited edition colored vinyl for me, what's your answer?

I always know that when people tell me that Vinyl or Tapes are stupid that they are not wired in the way that I am and think music is for one-time use.  

I don't just listen to music because its a "good beat" or as background music, its all-consuming to me and I love collecting music, its never going to be lame to pull out cool old music formats to show later generations, its always going to be exciting for your kids and their kids.  

You won't be able to whip out your mp3s someday I imagine.  

7. My first album ever was Live Evil by Black Sabbath, so I'm stuck on live albums. What's the best live album on vinyl?

Easy, "Unleashed in the East" by Judas Priest. 

8. Listening to records is my comfort food for my soul. As mentioned earlier, I have a living room dedicated to it. I normally drink a beer or two whilst listening to music I love. Describe your normal listening experience.

I spend a lot of time in front of a computer so my downstairs living room lacks a lot of technology.  There are a couch and a place to listen to music and a TV.  

We play music all day downstairs and hang out, its soothing to disconnect from computers and phones and all that for a while and just enjoy some music. 

No comments:

Post a Comment