Friday, October 5, 2018

Vinyloscopy with The Castor Troys's Chris Ledroit

In Hamilton, Ontario there's a rock punk rock band full of driving rhythms and beating hearts and drums.

You can check out all of their stuff on BANDCAMP

In the meantime, let's find out what they're spinning.

1. Listening to Black Sabbath's eponymous debut the night I got it blew me away. What's the album that sounds the best on vinyl compared to digital sources?

Pretty much anything sounds better on vinyl!  We a/b'd our record with the digital version on a nice turntable with some really high end speakers and were really surprised at the difference.  

But I think the biggest difference will come in anything that was recorded on tape, rather than digitally.

2. I was laying in bed one night and couldn't sleep and I figured, it was time to start buying records. How did you come to the idea that it was time to start buying vinyl instead?


For us this was as much about the artwork as it was about the music.  We found a really awesome artist who did our cover for us, and just having it on 5" CD covers didn't do it justice.

3.For my old stuff, it's vinyl worthy, for new stuff, it's all vinyl if available. Do you buy everything on wax or do you have a vinyl worthy category?

I do like buying records for both the artwork and the sound quality, though I listen to most music in the car, so I do appreciate a digital version with it.

4. My second living room is where I keep it all. Upstairs, my early 70's receiver, with a 70's turntable and 70's 5 way speakers. Tell us all about your vinyl set up.

My turntable at home is pretty lousy, but my folks have a really nice setup at their place, so I keep most everything there, along with their collection from the last 50 years.  It's pretty eclectic.

5. Do you read the lyrics and go over the inserts when you're spinning?

With a new record, always, without exception.  With one I've had a while, maybe if I haven't in a while.  But once an album is familiar, I prefer to listen closely to it.

6. When someone says, I'm stupid for buying records, I tell them, thanks, more limited edition colored vinyl for me, what's your answer?

To be honest, I don't think anyone's ever said that to me!  Most vinyl I buy is indie bands, as it helps support them when they're on tour.

7. My first album ever was Live Evil by Black Sabbath, so I'm stuck on live albums. What's the best live album on vinyl?

Hmm, No Sleep Til Hammersmith (Motorhead), Live After Death (Maiden), or maybe Social Disortion's Live at the Roxy.

No comments:

Post a Comment