Monday, July 22, 2019

Interview with Lindsay Schoolcraft of Cradle of Filth

Lindsay Schoolcraft
The name Cradle of Filth has been synonymous with extreme metal since the late 90's.

Their brand of theatrical black metal has captured the attentions of metal fans the world over.

For the past seven years, Lindsay Schoolcraft has put her stamp on their live performances with her keyboards, vocals, and even a little bit of harp.

After all this time in Cradle of Filth, she's now putting out her first solo album, Martyr, later on in the fall. Rock Gray of Evanescence co-wrote and performed it.

We were lucky enough to catch up with Schoolcraft and touched on a number of subjects including social media and, of course Martyr.

Check it out.

GM: The world of today is vastly powered through social media. You're very active on your accounts. I'd like to talk to you about your social media usage. 

Let's start off with, what's your favorite service?

Lindsay Schoolcraft:  I honestly love how Instagram so easily connects people. Its simple and straight to the point.

I am also very visually driven so this is why I find this platform to be the most enjoyable. But then I also love how I can keep in touch and start a conversation with my fan base on Twitter.

I've been with the platform for about a decade there and I refer to it as my 'Twitter Family" which is something special and unique on it's own. We are like a tribe!

GM: What do you think is the biggest benefit of social media and artists today? 

LS: I think it is that connection to the fans and being able to better understand who they are.

I find having that connection really helps me understand what matters and is important to them and because of that it comes back to them as a reflection through my art.

A lot of my fans' stories of struggles and triumphs really inspires and fuels a lot of my story telling in my songs.

GM: Naturally, what's the worst? 

LS: Honestly, there is so much abuse out there today due to exposing yourself like this.

And the negativity can wear you down. I find that people forget you're a human too and their actions can also greatly affect you.

Especially as a woman, I found it extremely unconformable as first when men would tell me what I should and shouldn't being doing with my body.

There is so much lack of consequence and accountability for people's behaviors and actions in the digital world.

GM: On your Instagram account, you move back and forth between what I'd term business promotional pics and what I'd call personal pictures. Which is more important? 

LS: They're both important. As much as I am an artist I also need to consider that my posts help spread the world about our shows and that way the chances of people coming our higher.

But my personal posts are always with good intentions in hopes of inspiring and comforting others.

GM: With Facebook being what it is nowadays, algorithms and such, how do you make the most of your following?

LS: I admit with no shame I pay for targeting ads and marketing. And honestly it's no different than what a label would do for me!

I also enjoy using it as a connecting tool. I just find facebook is a bit more harsh in people's commentary. But again, thick skin.

GM: Let's switch gears a bit and talk about your upcoming solo record. If you were going to sum it up with a sentence or two, how would you describe and compare it to what you're most known for? 

LS: I think people will be a bit surprised on the direction I took and also the person I wrote the album with!

But it is very much me and the sound I have always wanted for my music. I definitely took a lot of influence from my favorite alternative bands from the early 2000's.

GM: How long have you been writing it? 

LS: The process took about two years around Cradle's heavy touring schedule.

I am sure we could have completed it in maybe a year, but because of the delays a lot of people would finish tasks and then were waiting on me.

We wrapped it up at the end of 2017 and I am just happy It is finally coming out!

GM: What are the five most important albums of all time? 

LS: For me?

1. Fallen - Evanescence

2. Violet - The Birthday Massacre

3. Vespertine - Bjork

4 Untouchables - Korn

5. Hybrid Theory - Linkin Park.

(Note: This is the first instance of every single one of those albums on Glacially Musical!)

GM: Now that the St. Louis Blues have won the Stanley Cup and broken our drought, do you think that Toronto is going to fall in line and break the Ballard Curse? 

LS: Ahhh I don't even know! My Dad would have a better answer on this one than I would! I have never been the sports type.

GM: Is there anything else we should know but I was too inept to ask? 

LS: Expect a lot of exciting things from me this year to do with music and also makeup and Youtube!

You can check with Ms. Schoolcraft on Instagram Twitter and Facebook .

No comments:

Post a Comment