Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Taco Tuesday with Pinto Graham's Ant

Pinto Graham
I told you all about Pinto Graham's latest album, Dos, a little while back.

Now it's time to talk about Mexican Food...to let's have a Taco Tuesday on Wednesday.

Everybody loves Taco Tuesday, but what is the best time to eat tacos for you and how many tacos do you put back in a standard sitting.

Ant from Pinto Graham here and I am super stoked to do an interview on my love of Mexican food! Mexican food has been my favorite cuisine since I could remember.

In fourth grade, my teacher tasked us with a holiday project, “Christmas From Around The World,” and I immediately raised my hand and snagged Mexico. Many tacos were had at that fiesta. I also requested tacos for my birthday dinners many years as well.

I just have always loved tacos!

 The whole band is down with tacos too. Brian is from Argentina so he leans more toward meat dishes. Andre and his family have Taco Tuesday every single week! I, myself, eat Mexican dishes as much as possible.

My go to snacking at home is chips with refried beans, cheeses, and some sort of chiles. When we make tacos at home, I eat as many as it takes. I can’t stop. Tacos are so perfect and perfectly simple.

Describe your perfect taco plate. 

Here in New Haven, we have many taco options. But our favorite is the Black Truck taco truck that parks down at Long Wharf. Extraordinary street tacos available with all your favorite meats.

The Al Pastor and carnitas are both amazing and at under $2 per taco, we get a few plate fulls to go with some Jarritos sodas. I also love a local joint called Mezcal – seriously legit Mexican food; made by grandmas with love.

I love their mole enchiladas. I eat Mexican everywhere though! New Mexico has amazing Mexican food. Just South of Santa Fe is the Mine Shaft Tavern and I get enchiladas there every time I am in the state.

Same goes for Los Ojos Bar in Jemez Springs. In Tucson, AZ I love Penca on Broadway. They have delicious tacos, churros, and a great mescal flight.

Then for breakfast get the huevos rancheros at 5 Points Market; you will not be disappointed!

What is your beverage of choice when it comes to Mexican food? 

Mescal Margaritas are my jam. But, honestly, I’ll drink any margarita. The Mexico Pavillion in EPCOT down home in Florida has an avocado margarita that is otherworldly! I drink a few of those every visit. Haha. Then I try on all the sombreros and sing to strangers. It’s a good time! The bar is named La Cava Del Tequila but known simply as “The Tequila Cave” amongst enthusiasts and we like to tell folks that it is our favorite ride at WDW.

My personal favorite Mexican dish is Camaron a la Diabla. It is this extraordinarily hot shrimp dish. Comes with tacos, beans, and tortillas. What is yours? 

This question really depends on where we are. I’ve spoke of joint in the US but if you want the best Mexican food… you need to go to Mexico. (Going again this December.)

If you ever find yourself on Cozumel, head straight for Café Denis and order their chorizo nachos. Down in Oaxaca, it’s not possible to eat a bad meal. Oaxaca is heaven on Earth in my opinion.

7 different kinds of mole!

AND the birthplace and creators of mescal! Mole and mescal! Cha-cha-CHA! If you visit, make it a Dios de las Muertas vacation and join in the festivities. Comparsas are traveling brass bands that drink and dance and eat around town.

Just jump in the crowd and enjoy the ride. And before you leave, get a Tlayuda from La Tlayudo Restaurant and some rich mole fixins at Casa Mayordomo.

I love the original chocolate mole but I also had red mole and yellow mole that were both just as incredible.

Describe the feeling of regret you get after your carne asada arrives and you realize your belly is full of those delicious chips and salsa. 

As much as I love chips and salsa, I know what I’m in a Mexican joint for and I never overdo it. Plus, I want chips and salsa left over to mix with my rice and beans.

That’s how you win-win.

Snack on chips, eat your meal, fill the rest of the way up by using the chips and salsa to eat the rice and beans. Pro level mierda right there!

If you could only eat tacos, burritos, or chimichangas forever, which one and why?

I have to have crunch. So, out of those options I’d say tacos. However, if all the taco shells just happened to get broken (ahem), I’d be super fine and dandy using them as tortilla chips.

In other words, I’m a nachos kind of guy. Now, having said that, if Santa Fe style enchiladas are an option, that wins too. And just as an added bonus, if you’ve never tried the Mexican soup Fideo, you need to remedy that as soon as possible!

Thanks so much for inviting me to play along with this great interview.

Pinto Graham embraces Latin American culture whole-heartedly. Our first album, UNO, was release in 2017 and our new album, DOS, is came out on July 12th. Both are available on your favorite streaming sites.

And, if you get a chance to see us live, let’s raise a few glasses of tequila and mescal together as familia.

No comments:

Post a Comment