Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Beer Thirty with Martin Drozd of Protokult

The Beer Thirty Column was a great success in terms of how many different bands were willing to take some time and talk to me about beer.

I had no idea that these metal guys would be so interested.

It's certainly my favorite beverage, and I would definitely answer this column should someone ask me!

Maybe I should ask me, but I kind of already answered in the questions didn't I? I especially love the responses from our friends to the North. I've spent some time up there in the Fabled Canadas, but I've not done nearly enough beer tourism up there.

Today we're talking to some folks from Canada's Second City, and I only say that because Second City TV was filmed in Toronto, Toronto, Ontario.

Whilst you're learning about how they beer, check out this VIDEO.

1. My personal favorite beer style is the might Double India Pale Ale. The best DIPA in the world is STLIPA by Urban Chestnut. Tell me about your favorite style.

Nothing like a proper pilsner in my books!


Although some of the less-harsh IPA’s are refreshing too.


2. Many international people have laughed at me for this, but American Beer is the best in the world. Not American Lagers, that piss water is best used for drinking 15 of them while you're at the karaoke bar, but American Craft Beer.


Which nation is pumping out the best beer?


I haven’t explored American Craft Beer but Ontario (Canada) is overflowing with great breweries.


Nickelbrook, Flying Monkeys, Collective Arts, Highpark Brewery, Bellwoods, Rainhard….all excellent for that style and experimentation


(P.S please sponsor the band!!!=D)


3. Even though I'm a giant beer snob, I'll drink beers that break the Bavarian Purity Laws. My personal favorite is Schalfly's Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout. It's a might 22oz of 10% ABV Stout aged in bourbon barrels. It'll warm your heart and soul.


What beers do you love that break Reinheitsgebot?


Listen, anything above 5-7% is questionable as far as beer goes (that’s my inner lager-pilsner European speaking)…


There was a stout from Nickelbrook that was called Bolshevik Bastard and was somewhere between 8-10%), it was like a smooth Guinness with a bite, so let’s go with that one.


4. Right now, you couldn't pin me down and get me to give my favorite St. Louis Brewery, though Urban Chestnut's STLIPA does put them in the lead...but if you put a gun to my head, it's Schlafly Brewing.


What do you think of your local brewers?


As mentioned above, there are some excellent ones brewing delicious (though sometimes too experimental) specimens.


5. Hops or Malt? Personally, I feel like a jerk for asking the question. Give me a malty Scottish/Scotch Ale or a hoppy DIPA...and I'm happy...but you gotta pick one.


Hoppy IPA/DIPA all the way!


6. Whenever I'm road tripping. I'm always bringing back beers. Ohio, Great Lakes Brewing. East Coast, Yuengling. Western New  York. Genessee. What do you bring home?  


Beers do not survive my many travels, typically chug them on the go, and with the U.S border still closed, I’m glad to support our locals! 

No comments:

Post a Comment