Monday, October 12, 2020

Classic Spins with Adam Tremblett of The Dead Centuries

One of my favorite things in the world, apart from music, my family, hockey, beer, a deliciously brewed tea, mentioning casually (several times) that I percolate, not brew my coffee in a percolator that's older than me, and sleeping, is language.

A friend of mine is from Upstate New York and he always said AWL-ba-Nee. I would correct him, but he felt as he was from that area of the world, I should shut my damned yapper.

Another city along those lines is Ottawa, Ontario. Folks up there say Ottawa differently than we do, or Hockey Night In Canada has been lying to me for decades. I can't say for sure, as I've not gotten that far north into Ontario yet.

And if I did, wouldn't it be weird to be asking folks up there to tell me the name of the city over and over while recording it?

Real quick, before we get to our friends in Ottawa, Duncan Evans and I are launching a Podcast on Thursday about the forgotten history of Heavy Metal. Check it out on ANCHOR.

By the way, The Dead Centuries have dropped their first single. If you're looking for some Animals As Leaders style awesomeness... Watch the video HERE.

1. My favorite kind of album is the concept album. The Wall is my absolute favorite. Beyond the amazing songs, it has spectacular nostalgia for me. What's your favorite one and why? 

I’d have to go with Protest The Hero’s “Kezia."

That concept album was huge for me when I was getting into heavy music. It’s also their first full-length album, and the first album I heard from them, and I’ve been a fan ever since. 

2. My very first album was Live Evil by Black Sabbath. Since then I've had a strong affinity for the live record, even if they're a bit fake. KISS set the bar with Alive!. 

Surely, it was fake, but it's got the best concert feel of any one. Tell me about your favorite live record? 

My favourite live record is by far Racer X “Live Extreme volume."

Which is one of 2 live albums from them, both of which were recorded over a few nights. The playing on that album is ferocious, explosive, and… extreme. It also has some unreleased songs that never made it to a studio album so it’s fun to listen to more 80s Racer X. 

There are a great number of records I've turned to for my moods. 

3. What do you listen to when you're angry? Sad? 

When I’m angry I’ll probably turn to something upbeat to try to turn the mood around. 

I’m a big fan of singer-songwriter and guitarist Molly Tuttle, her latest album “When You’re Ready” has some really great songs that I can’t help but feel good when I listen to. 

4. One of my friends laughs at me, routinely, for loving the Misfit Toys of albums by major bands. Lulu by Metallica and Lou Reed, Carnival of Souls by Kiss, Diabolous En Musica by Slayer, etc. What's the strange one that you love? 

I suppose Thrice’s first album “Identity Crisis” might fit that “Misfit Toys” of their catalog, it’s really raw, unpolished, and quite a bit different from what they’re doing now, but I love it. 

5. It's almost fashionable to release live versions of albums or re-record the old ones. King Diamond is releasing a concert with Abigail front to back. Roger Waters has done The Wall twice. Which ones do you have in your collection? 

I don’t think I have any live versions or re-recordings of albums, at least I can’t think of any, sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment