Friday, October 23, 2020

Vinyloscopy with Juan Pina of Anthea

Symphonic metallers Anthea aren't done with us or you yet. Seriously, I have no idea how that haven't gotten tired of my insane questions.

Or did I mean inane?

Eh, today, we're going to hear about my other favorite thing besides beer...RECRODS! 

You can spin all their music over at their WEBSITE while reading along here.

1. Listening to Black Sabbath's eponymous debut the night I got it blew me away. What's the album that sounds the best on vinyl compared to digital sources?

The first album that comes to mind in my collection would be Pink Floyd’s “The Division Bell.”

I acquired a 20th-anniversary edition through a KLOS radio contest 5 years ago (before I even had a record player). I was the 25th caller!


On Vinyl, it’s even more of an experience. 


2. I was laying in bed one night and couldn't sleep and I figured, it was time to start buying records. How did you come to the idea that it was time to start buying vinyl instead?


It was always a goal of mine, but when I was younger, I didn’t have enough space for a proper setup.


When I moved in with my wife, she already had a pretty decent collection of film scores and punk records. That’s when I decided to start my own collection and focus on Metal and Classic Rock. 


3. For my old stuff, it's vinyl worthy, for new stuff, it's all vinyl if available. Do you buy everything on wax or do you have a vinyl worthy category?


When deciding to go all out on vinyl, I ask myself “Do I really need this on Vinyl?”


90 percent of the time, the answer is yes. A lot of the wax I’m getting now I actually previously owned on CD.


If I feel something is vinyl worthy but I’m unable to find it, I actually buy tapes as well. 


4. My second living room is where I keep it all. Upstairs, my 1971 Sherwood 7100-S, Receiver,  1975 Pioneer PL-200, and 70's Sansui 5 way speakers. Tell us all about your vinyl set up.


My entertainment center is located in my living room. I have a Pioneer VSX – 534 5.2 channel AV receiver, Sony DSW’s as my main speakers, and a Morentz Audio MZ-7 home theater system.


My record player is an Audio-Technica AT-LP60X.  


5. Do you read the lyrics and go over the inserts when you're spinning?


Of course! I love looking at the artwork and who was involved in the album production. I’m an audio engineer, so I like to know who mixes and masters my favorite artists.  


6. When someone says, I'm stupid for buying records, I tell them, thanks, more limited edition colored vinyl for me, what's your answer?


Stupid is as stupid does.  


7. My first album ever was Live Evil by Black Sabbath, so I'm stuck on live albums. What's the best live album on vinyl?


My favorite live album at the moment would be Pink Floyd’s Live in NYC 1977. It’s such an amazing set and it’s so mind-blowing that it was over 40 years ago. 


8. Listening to records is my comfort food for my soul. As mentioned earlier, I have a living room dedicated to it. I normally drink a beer or two whilst listening to music I love. Describe your normal listening experience.


I love to wake up, put a record on, and clean my apartment.


When I have guests over, I throw on a record and it takes away the pressure of having to constantly pick new music.


Since you mentioned beer, I do love spinning a record with an ice-cold pilsner. 


1 comment: