Friday, June 19, 2020

5 Min Origin Stories with Held In Secret

It's been bugging me that I may have misnamed this column, but it seems semi-appropriate, so I'm sticking with it.

Once again, I'm hearing from our friends to the north, Held In Secret. I love that their press photo features the snowy wastes of Northern Canada.

Or maybe Southern Canada.

Perhaps the Maritimes? Nope, they're from Ottawa.

Anyway, check their groovy tunes on SPOTIFY. Stream it so much that Spotify has to send them a Twoney.

For now, though, let's talk shop.

1. Is there an event you can point to you that made you say, wow, that's the instrument I want to play? Not like guitar or drums, but the reason why you play the model you do?

The reason I play super strat models is I'm a classics guy. Most of my influences are lefties using Strat-shaped guitars (i.e. Cobain when he was not using his signature Fender Mustang, Hendrix, etc.) and growing up listening to grunge, classic rock, and heavy metal, I've always wanted to play guitar with these rock stars who all somehow owned the legendary Fender Stratocaster.

2. How do you write a song?

2) The way we write songs depends on the context. I can sit in my room or in front of a computer for hours and only write a riff or two as I can also come up with a whole concept revolving for a song in a matter of minutes. 


I usually start by messing around with riffs and midi drums to lay out some sort of template and then comes the rinse/repeat process of composition where I try something, hate it completely and finally come up with something interesting that I send over to Matt or the band for them to collaborate on. 

We then work on the details and change what we deem needs to be changed and this is how you get a Held In Secret signature song!

3. How many concept records do you own? Could you ever write one?


I currently own two concept albums with Held In Secret (and currently sitting on one that's in the works) that intersect each other in a way. 

Held In Secret's Dawnbreaker is about all these things in life that make us who we are as humans who feel, love, hurt and through all of this find support in each other's art, emotions, and company. Nomads picks up where Dawnbreaker left off but with a more humanitarian overlook. 

In this record, we talk about trauma, depression, addiction, pollution as well as racism against First Nations as portrayed in our title track Nomads. Both Dawnbreakers and Nomads walk through different lives sprinkled with resemblance

4. Who's influence is most evident in your music? The least?


I think the most obvious influence in what I write instrumental-wise would have to be the new wave of djenty metalcore like Silent Planet or Dayseeker alongside some hardcore or deathcore bands like Varials or Whitechapel. 

Metalcore being such a wide sub-genre in itself, it is impossible not to find influences that have been outsourced from many other musical genres as well, myself included. I dabble in rap, hip hop, rock or even grunge as previously mentioned. 

Keeps me away from writer's block for a bit and I don't like to stop myself from one specific genre, there is too much beauty and creativity outside of metal to play blind and pretend it doesn't exist.

5. Which one of your songs is the one your the most proud of?


The song I am the proudest of is Ties from our upcoming EP Nomads. Its got a lot of energy, a little technical and quite heavy in meaning. 

The lyrics talk about parental abuse which, unfortunately, is still an issue in modern days. Sever the ties in your mind refers to cutting all emotional ties with your abuser and finally breaking free of this vicious cycle that is called Stockholm Syndrome. 

Although old (it is over 2 years old), I feel like it aged well and holds up to the future content we got for everyone.

6. Sum up your latest record for us. 


Summing Nomads in a few words is difficult. It is a blend of many emotions, struggles and real-life experiences many people in this world have dealt or are presently dealing within their very own ways. 

Through this record, we hope that somebody feels heard, understood and not alone because deep down we are only human.

No comments:

Post a Comment