Thursday, June 18, 2020

Vinyloscopy with Junkowl

To Montreal, PQ we go once more. It's a romantic place for me. Though I've done business there, I've never been...one day perhaps. I'll see my beloved Habs play hockey....on a tv in a sports bar because even though it's in Canadian dollars, I still can't afford that shiz.

For my hockey fight fans, yeah, I'll wear my Chiefs du Laval jersey to a game in Laval or Thetford Mines, or wherever I can find an LNAH team.

But while I'm there, I'd probably also take some time to check out the metal.

Here's some checkable metal right here on BANDCAMP.

Now, onto the records.

1. Listening to Black Sabbath's eponymous debut the night I got it blew me away. What's the album that sounds the best on vinyl compared to digital sources?

Physical Graffiti by Led Zeppelin is the first album that I ever compared with the cd version, listening to the record and then the cd.. 


The record just sounded bigger and better.

2. I was laying in bed one night and couldn't sleep and I figured, it was time to start buying records. How did you come to the idea that it was time to start buying vinyl instead?

The first time I got records were from the Columbia House when I was 8 years old I kept a few of those to this day but I don’t even think I knew that records were still an option when I was I teenager so I was buying CDs. 


Until one night I was at a friend’s place and he was spinning some 90’s hip hop and it just sounded really good to me,  the low end was much louder than my cd versions, It was so much better that I had to get all that hip hop again, only this time on record.

It was while shopping for those 90’s hip hop records that I discovered records were still a thing. I started spending a lot more time in small record shops and through vinyl, I really got into jazz, funk, noise, and much more!  

 3. For my old stuff, it's vinyl worthy, for new stuff, it's all vinyl if available. Do you buy everything on wax or do you have a vinyl worthy category? 


I would have it all on vinyl if I could. I buy mostly vinyl but also some CDs and tapes. I try to have physical copies of everything I listen to.

4. My second living room is where I keep it all. Upstairs, my 1971 Sherwood 7100-S, Receiver,  1975 Pioneer PL-200, and 70's Sansui 5 way speakers. Tell us all about your vinyl set up.

I used to have a revolver turntable that I really liked but it's now long gone.


My technics SL 1200 mk2, Cambridge amp and b & w speakers is what I use right now.

5. Do you read the lyrics and go over the inserts when you're spinning? 


Of course. I’m sure whoever buys records does. It’s half the fun.

6. When someone says, I'm stupid for buying records, I tell them, thanks, more limited edition colored vinyl for me, what's your answer?

I always liked records, the way they sound obviously, but I also always like the artwork, the credits, all of it I guess. I like to hold it in my hands, I need the physical copy. 


So I guess we like what we like and spend money on stuff that makes us happy and buying records makes me very happy.

7. My first album ever was Live Evil by Black Sabbath, so I'm stuck on live albums. What's the best live album on vinyl? 


One I listen to often is Tom Waits Glitter and Doom.

8. Listening to records is my comfort food for my soul. As mentioned earlier, I have a living room dedicated to it. I normally drink a beer or two whilst listening to music I love. Describe your normal listening experience.

I have a spot with all my records in my basement, Sometimes I’ll smoke a joint and spin a side of a record, when I get really into it I usually add beer, lots of beer.

All questions answered by Dominic Labrie (drums)

No comments:

Post a Comment