Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Vinyloscopy with Jack Reynolds of Battle Born

I love commitment to a bit. How could I not? Kiss is one of my favorite bands in the world..

GWAR, Lords of the Trident, etc.

Band that have a sound and a look that goes with that sound...it makes me feel like they're really thinking about what they're doing.

Should this sound good to you, I'd suggest you rush right over to BANDCAMP and find out more.

1. What's the album that sounds the best on vinyl compared to digital sources?

There’s something so magical about spinning an album that was recorded, mixed and mastered 100% analogue.

I wouldn’t say it’s always a better listening experience, but it’s just so fascinating on those rare occasions where that still happens this millennium you can subconsciously feel a lot of the craft of actually making a record, when you know you’re listening to music that has never touched a computer.

There aren’t many recent examples to pick from... I’d have to say ‘Random Access Memories’ by Daft Punk is my favourite that ticks that box.

2. I was laying in bed one night and couldn't sleep and I figured, it was time to start buying records. How did you come to the idea that it was time to start buying vinyl instead?
It was the traditional introduction for me: raiding a parent’s stash of old records. God bless my mum for owning just about everything Billy Joel ever released.

I did really well out of that. Fleetwood Mac, Genesis… I had to buy my own Springsteen, but you can’t win them all!

3.For my old stuff, it's vinyl worthy, for new stuff, it's all vinyl if available. Do you buy everything on wax or do you have a vinyl worthy category?

Oh it definitely has to be vinyl worthy; I’m not made of money! I’m actually quite harsh with records when I’m making the vinyl decision.

For me, it needs to be something that I love front to back. No skips allowed.

4. My second living room is where I keep it all. Upstairs, my 1971 Sherwood 7100-S, Receiver,  1975 Pioneer PL-200, and 70's Sansui 5 way speakers. Tell us all about your vinyl set up.

It really is nothing special - some mid-range Sony turntable running through a cheap Panasonic speaker set.

I’d need to replace the whole lot before I could brag about any of it. A high-end player and sound system are first on my shopping list when the Battle Born EP makes me a millionaire rockstar.

5. Do you read the lyrics and go over the inserts when you're spinning?


On my first listen of a new vinyl, I’m definitely the guy who sits there drinking in every detail of the insert and the gatefold.

That is certainly part of the experience. It’s different on repeat listens though, I’m more likely to zone out and soak it all in.

6. When someone says, I'm stupid for buying records, I tell them, thanks, more limited edition colored vinyl for me, what's your answer?

This is where we find out that my friends are cooler than yours, because I’ve never been told that!

I do understand the convenience of digital and streaming. Honesty hour: I recently caved and got Spotify. But it’s a completely different listening experience.

When I put on a record I’m not looking for a soundtrack to whatever else I’m doing; listening to the record is what I’m doing.

7. My first album ever was Live Evil by Black Sabbath, so I'm stuck on live albums. What's the best live album on vinyl?

When you say the L word I will always reach straight for Iron Maiden.

I’m torn between ‘Live After Death’ and ‘Rock in Rio’.

It depends on my mood, those are pretty different setlists. ‘Rio’ might just take it 5 and a half times out of 10. (Ed note: Rio is better than After Death)

9. Listening to records is my comfort food for my soul. As mentioned earlier, I have a living room dedicated to it. I normally drink a beer or two whilst listening to music I love. Describe your normal listening experience.

It’s just good for you, isn’t it?

I definitely enjoy it most when I’m not doing anything else. On a good day, listening to a record that I know and love, I’ll only open my eyes to change sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment