Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Classic Spins with GorIvsh

Classic Spins is probably the column that's gotten  more bands excited than any of the others.

It makes perfect sense.

This is the time for a band to nerd out and deep dive on their favorite records.

Check out GorIvsh on BANDCAMP and maybe find something to love.

1. My favorite kind of album is the concept album. The Wall is my absolute favorite. Beyond the amazing songs, it has spectacular nostalgia for me. What's your favorite one and why? 


The Fucking Cunts Treat Us Like Pricks by Flux Of Pink Indians. Harsh noises, mangled loops, songs bouncing in and out of the mix, poignant art; it's a brilliant statement. 


 2. My very first album was Live Evil by Black Sabbath. Since then I've had a strong affinity for the live record, even if they're a bit fake. KISS set the bar with Alive!. Surely, it was fake, but it's got the best concert feel of any one.

Tell me about your favorite live record?

Live In A Dive by Subhumans. 

I love them to death. I've seen them twice before and will gladly trek to their next show! The lyrics make you think, the guitars are wailing the bass never stops and the drums navigate this perfect band on a perfect stage.

3. There are a great number of records I've turned to for my moods. What do you listen to when you're angry? Sad?  

I listen to pretty much the same stuff regardless of mood; friends' bands and my usual choices. 

Sweating Under My Skin by Venomenon, En Orbite by Thick Glasses, M39 by Katö, All You Can Quit by Life In Vacuum, my leaked Chronolith tape, Honey Wine by Pussy Stench, Proof Is In The Pudding by Muffler Crunch, As Is by Diner Drugs, Elder Sun by Dizastra, Loathe by Depwine, Menace To Tha Earth by GAZM, a bunch more I'm forgetting.

4. One of my friends laughs at me, routinely, for loving the Misfit Toys of albums by major bands. Lulu by Metallica and Lou Reed, Carnival of Souls by Kiss, Diabolous En Musica by Slayer, etc. 

What's the strange one that you love? 

Anything by Neil Cicierega. That man has a way of smooshing songs together that you never thought would work together but hot damn... it just does, and so good. 

5. It's almost fashionable to release live versions of albums or re-record the old ones. King Diamond is releasing a concert with Abigail front to back. Roger Waters has done The Wall twice. Which ones do you have in your collection? 

None that I can think of honestly. 

I love live albums for how raw and unforgiving it is on the musicians as well as the crowd but I don't think I own whole live albums that are reworkings. 

Or they are and I'm unaware.


No comments:

Post a Comment