Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Cartoon Express with Carsten of Giants, Dwarfs, and Black Holes

Is there anyone out there who just loves long tunes?

Well, I'd be willing to bet that our new friends from Germany, Giants, Dwarfs, and Black Holes might give you a run for your money.

Their debut LP, Everwill, has a track just under fifteen minutes.

That's when you know a band is serious about whatever that song is about. Check it out on BANDCAMP.

Now, let's talk about cartoons!

1. From a very early age, I gravitated towards anime. I never knew Speed Racer was anything other than just another cartoon. What is the first one you watched that really shaped your tastes for years to come?

In my childhood, that was in the early 80s, there were a maximum of 3 channels on German television and it was an event to see Captain Future.

I couldn't miss any episode and the music composed especially for it (by Christian Bruhn) made history. So, i love the style, the weirdness, the loving naivety  ... since today. In the late 70s I went to the movies to watch the early Disney films mostly directed by Wolfgang Reithermann.

2.The Simpsons came about when I was turning 12. It was a great moment of transition for Americans to finally have animated shows geared towards adults as well as children. Tell me about your first cartoon that wasn't strictly for kids.

First of all: The "early" Simpsons are the most brilliant thing America has ever produced in terms of anime / animation.

Unbeatable in hidden social, political criticism, for example! Another anime from Italy really appealed to me as a child: La Linea.

A neurotic and egotistical man, consisting of just one line drawn, who has to find his way through obscure situations.

These clips could be seen on German television as short clips or fillers. Still wonderful today - even as an adult!

3. It would be unfair to ask you to name a favorite. So what do you love about your three favorite shows?

I love it when you have to activate your brain watching animes ... there is a lot to discover in the most demanding of them ... mostly cross-references, subliminal criticism and fears.

Depending on the country or time in which the anime was created, you can also see, and this is very important, clear cultural influences from real life.

4. It was hard for me to really get into REAL anime, but I'd have to say that my entrance was Princess Mononoke. Tell me about your favorite anime and how did you get into it?

Ok, my first anime was Captain Future, La Linea, Charlie Brown was also formative for me ... then there was the Simpsons, I hope I didn't leave anything out ... sorry ... my memory.

In short: The Studio Ghibli films are all really amazing! Too many to list and write about. When my children were small, we watched these things relatively regularly. Now, because of my job, I have little time and watch an episode of something every now and then ...

I'll name some other animes here that have left a lasting impression and MUST BE seen: Akira, Ghost in the shell, Heavy Metal, Cowboy Bebop, Totoro, Aeon Flux, Tokyo Godfathers, Ren & Stimpy, Patlabor, Evangelion, Ergo Proxy, Nausicaä ....


5. The holy trinity of adult shows is The Simpsons, Futurama, and Family Guy. Tell me why your favorite is the best.

Ha! Now lets get serious. The “early” Simpsons of course. Why? Oh...you know why...

6. Animated shows or features?

Actually: Mr. Pickles, Archer ... such stuff. Not for the faint hearted!

7. Let's hear about your favorite shows/movies from when you were a kid.

There were still great game shows on German television from the mid-1970s to the late 1990s, some based on the American model.

These shows were so good that sometimes entire families were glued to the TV. The moderation and type of shows were at a high level back then.

Oh, I've forgotten the Muppets: And the Muppets Show was and is absolutely great! Films ... there were: Tron, Star Wars, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (with Donald Sutherland), Das Boot (Wolfgang Petersen), Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo (Ulrich Edel) and so on ....

No comments:

Post a Comment