Thursday, February 18, 2021

Vinyloscopy with Weird Tales

There's literally nothing in this world better than amazing records. When you have this sort of worldview, life makes much more sense, it's easier to deal with the crippling pandemic that's keeping us all inside.

So, today, I'm talking with Weird Tales.

They've recently dropped a vinyl EP that you can totally pick up HERE.

If you're looking for a try before you buy sort of thing, check out the BANDCAMP.

1. Listening to Black Sabbath's eponymous debut the night I got it blew me away. What's the album that sounds the best on vinyl compared to digital sources?

Dima: All the stuff before 90’s. 70’s sound the best on vinyl. Doesn’t matter what genre.

2. I was laying in bed one night and couldn't sleep and I figured, it was time to start buying records. How did you come to the idea that it was time to start buying vinyl instead?

Kriss: I’ve always was thinking about collecting music on vinyls. Only some years ago I could afford some efficient equipment… that how it started.

And there is no coming back… .

Matt: Man, I have just a few of those. Don't have space in my flat to put recordplayer. I go to Dima and Kriss to listen to vinyls.

Dima: I actually was around Kriss’es place when he putted vinyl of Zeppelin’s II . I heard this record thousands of times before, but this time it was different.

When the first whotta lotta riff came, imiddiatelly I thought “It sounds like never before. So live and dynamic.” That’s when I thought I need to buy a player.

3. For my old stuff, it's vinyl worthy, for new stuff, it's all vinyl if available. Do you buy everything on wax or do you have a vinyl worthy category?

Dima: I’m too poor to even think about it. I’m trying to buy a new record every month, but it’s always a choice between that and new music gear, repairing old gear and peace of bread

Criss: I used to “obtain” some mp3's of music that cater to my taste and packed my player with it, but now when I hear a band I'm wondering “does this could sound cool on vinyl?"

And I'm a hoarder so every album I've used to like or still like to this day I need to have on vinyl. That's addiction and it's expensive XD  

4. My second living room is where I keep it all. Upstairs, my 1971 Sherwood 7100-S, Receiver,  1975 Pioneer PL-200, and 70's Sansui 5 way speakers. Tell us all about your vinyl set up.

Dima: I’m just going with the cheapest set and it still sounds way better than digital files. My girlfriend bought me Pioneer PL990.

I found some really cheap used Sony music centre from 90’s and going with it all the time.

Criss: Mine is Pioneer PL225 (a very DEEECEEENT spinner) plugged to some 80's sony amplifier and spread by wires to some fitting speaker all around the room.

I'm not seekeng of a “perfect” sound I always wanted to hear the music the way people heard it when it came out and try to figure out “what did they liked about it so much."

So I sticked to older equipment.  

5. Do you read the lyrics and go over the inserts when you're spinning?

Criss: Who doesn’t? If there are people who don’t do this you need to keep away from ‘em!

Matt: I haven't for a long time. Now it's a must. It is part of music.

6. When someone says, I'm stupid for buying records, I tell them, thanks, more limited edition colored vinyl for me, what's your answer?

Kriss: Have a nice flight! (while they’ll being thrown out from my window)

7. My first album ever was Live Evil by Black Sabbath, so I'm stuck on live albums. What's the best live album on vinyl?

Kriss: Of course Kiss's ALIVE!.

8. Tell me about your latest vinyl release.

Dima: “Y'all Motherfuckers Forgot 'Bout Good Ol' Son of a Bitchin' Blues” premier is set on 15/01/2021.

It’s 45 rpm 12’ Coloured Vinyl will be released by Interstellar Smoke records. 45RPM 12’ sounds HUGE. Bass slays, literally. We are proud about the final result.

Totally get one for yourself. Kriss made a killer painting for the cover, it’s brilliant. Looks the best on this big vinyl’s cover. Vinyl is coloured, we mixed vax in a way to fit the layout, so the whole vinyl set looks complete.

And this set also includes insert, A3 poster and label stikers (WT and ISR). And Interstellar Smoke Records will add CD copy to every Vinyl order I believe. Check this out on them Big Cartel page.

9. Listening to records is my comfort food for my soul. As mentioned earlier, I have a living room dedicated to it. I normally drink a beer or two whilst listening to music I love. Describe your normal listening experience.

Criss: I never stop to listening to miusic. It goes on and on and on…  

Mati: It all depends. I listen music everywhere, in car, in the shower ( I got small waterproof speaker), while playing games. There is no normal expereince for me. Music is everywhere.

Dima: Yeah, not always on vinyl but music should be played all the time. 1 minute without music is being played is a lost minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment