Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Vinyloscopy with Carsten of Giants, Dwarfs, and Black Holes

 

Did you get on that BANDCAMP last week?

Well, if you ignored my advice then, here's your chance to make amends. We're talking about a German prog metal band who's got tunes nearly as long as 2112 by Rush.

What do you have to lose besides and entire afternoon listening to one of them, but face it, you're probably going to have over 20,000 of them anyway.

Being as Glacially Musical is all about that sweet, sweet vinyl, I'm thrilled that Carsten was willing to tell us about his personal journey through the world of the spinning circles that are cut by needles.

Check it out!

1. Listening to Black Sabbath's eponymous debut the night I got it blew me away. What's the album that sounds the best on vinyl compared to digital sources?

One Example: Listen to the Bad Brains Album "Rock for light" on old vinyl - the CD is really bad sounding...

2. I was laying in bed one night and couldn't sleep and I figured, it was time to start buying records. How did you come to the idea that it was time to start buying vinyl instead?

I will never forget the moment when, as a kid, I let the needle drop on an ABBA LP. The moment when high-end produced sound flooded my hearing and brain through headphones ...

What an EXPERIENCE!

I had this experience with vinyl. There wasn't a CD yet. And because this experience impressed me, I always have the feeling that vinyl is the real thing ... It was the same later with the Metallica album "Master of Puppets."

This LP sounded indescribably good on the Telefunken turntable with an Ortofon needle at that time, despite the tight grooves being pressed.

Later, at a terrible moment in my life, I was in dire need of money and had to sell over half of my huge vinyl collection in order to exist ... it sounds dramatic, it actually was ... and today I am very happy that I was important enough to myself to keep the important albums even then ... when I started to have some money for myself again, I bought some of the records back from other sources ... yes, sometimes I'm already a melancholy person ... !

3.For my old stuff, it's vinyl worthy, for new stuff, it's all vinyl if available. Do you buy everything on wax or do you have a vinyl worthy category?

Small basic rule for most vinyls: Buy OLD EDITIONS and pay attention to the manufacturer in at least VG +! Same for me...!

4. My second living room is where I keep it all. Upstairs, my 1971 Sherwood 7100-S, Receiver,  1975 Pioneer PL-200, and 70's Sansui 5 way speakers. Tell us all about your vinyl set up.

A real “classic” setup – you love the “blue”- fine! My setup...I got now an Pioneer 616 Mark II Amplifier, Reloop RP6000 MK5S Turntable with Ortofon Blue Concorde, Infinity Kappa 8.2, some Nubert speakers .... next time I hope to buy an Thorens 1601 with Ortofon black ... but my wife ... uahhh...  :)

5. Do you read the lyrics and go over the inserts when you're spinning?

Of course I read the lyrics!

6. When someone says, I'm stupid for buying records, I tell them, thanks, more limited edition colored vinyl for me, what's your answer?

...don`t buy it all ... buy quality.

Most of independent labels have fine pressings – High Roller Records, Kozmik Artifactz, Flight13, Interstellar Smoke Records... newer pressed stuff from major labels are sometimes ...not good...and some are disgustingly bad!

7. My first album ever was Live Evil by Black Sabbath, so I'm stuck on live albums. What's the best live album on vinyl?

One of the BEST:

The Who – Live at Leeds – EXPANDED 3LP EDITION – Unbelievable....

8. Tell me about your latest vinyl release.

Oh, I really hope the CD, especially the vinyl release of our debut LP "Everwill" sounds good!

Roland (our guitarist) and Josko Joketovic, who among others mastered the band Wight (Spank the World - great vinyl - buy it!), did a great job – if you know the recording circumstances ...

9. Listening to records is my comfort food for my soul. As mentioned earlier, I have a living room dedicated to it. I normally drink a beer or two whilst listening to music I love. Describe your normal listening experience.

When I listen to vinyl, it has to be celebrated. I can`t do that with a CD ... it`s a celebrating thing...the greatness of vinyl...haptics.

You know. While listening, I sink into the concept of the record and mostly stare at the cover, lyrics and inlays ... definitely an intimate moment.

I had the darkest feeling, not in a negative sense, with my beloved Celtic Frost "To mega therion" 1985 vinyl. Goosebumps, Mr. Giger!

Thanks you for your interest in Giants Dwarfs And Black Holes.

Keep up the good work of supporting the arts!

Cheers, Carsten

No comments:

Post a Comment