Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Beer Thirty With Malacoda's Vlad Prokhorov

Are you familiar with the strange beings of Malacoda?

They're from a town in Ontario...Oaklville. Honestly, that superfluous L quite bothers me. There's no reason for that L to exist unless the city of Oaklville, ON was in some sort of feud with Oakville, Manitoba.

This scenario only works if Oaklville is in the part of Ontario that threatened secession in order to join Manitoba. It's the area of Canada I refer to as Manitario.

But I'm fairly certain no one else does.

In the mean time, get your horror rock on with them...but first let's have a beer.


1. My personal favorite beer style is the might Double India Pale Ale. The best DIPA in the world is STLIPA by Urban Chestnut. 

Tell me about your favorite style.


My favourite styles of beer are probably a single IPA and a czech lager. Muskoka mad Tom from Ontario is a great one as well as Goose IPA from Chicago. For Lagers I  have been digging Tyskie in bottles lately as well.

2. Many international people have laughed at me for this, but American Beer is the best in the world. Not American Lagers, that piss water is best used for drinking 15 of them while you're at the karaoke bar, but American Craft Beer. 

Which nation is pumping out the best beer?


In my opinion Europe is pumping out the best beers. Their traditional recipes and unique fermentation techniques are hard to beat. 

Although North America is definitely catching up fast because brewers are getting more educated and more serious about their craft.

3. Even though I'm a giant beer snob, I'll drink beers that break the Bavarian Purity Laws. My personal favorite is Schalfly's Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout. It's a might 22oz of 10% ABV Stout aged in bourbon barrels. It'll warm your heart and soul. 

What beers do you love that break Reinheitsgebot?


Not gonna lie on this one... I had to look up what the Bavarian Purity Law is lol.....  So...

 I cant answer this question truthfully because I just don't know.

4. Right now, you couldn't pin me down and get me to give my favorite St. Louis Brewery, though Urban Chestnut's STLIPA does put them in the lead...but if you put a gun to my head,it's Schlafly Brewing. 

What do you think of your local brewers?


The local breweries here in the Niagara area are great! 

I have installed many of them. Kame and Kettle in Font Hill, Oast House in St David's, Niagara brewing company in Niagara Falls, The Exchange in Niagara on the Lake, and The Six brewing in Toronto all make fantastic beer, to name a few.                             

5. Hops or Malt? Personally, I feel like a jerk for asking the question. Give me a malty Scottish/Scotch Ale or a hoppy DIPA...and I'm happy...but you gotta pick one.

Defintely hops over malt. Although I enjoy both. Nothing beats the taste of a nice aromatic, fruity dry hopped IPA, for me at least.                                                                      

6. Whenever I'm road tripping. I'm always bringing back beers. Ohio, Great Lakes Brewing. East Coast, Yuengling. Western New York. Genessee. 

What do you bring home?


Ahh my favourite question. I've installed breweries everywhere from Costa Rica, Mexico, Texas, Florida, North Carolina, NY, Pennsylvania, Missouri, BC, Quebec, Nova Scotia, new Brunswick, Manitoba to name a few, and I've brought back beer from almost all of them. 

I must say ALMOST all of them have been amazing. Some that stand out are Twisted X brewing in Texas. 

They had a jalapeno pilsner that was to die for. (Ed Note: I'm the only person I know who enjoys a good chili beer. It's great to meet another freak like me.) 

Also my boys at Breton Brewing in Nova Scotia make a Killer stout. Thanks for the questions its been fun!!!

 Bottoms up!   

No comments:

Post a Comment